Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: wifi card installed ok, still wont connect to router.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2

    wifi card installed ok, still wont connect to router.

    Problem: I cannot connect to the LAN and get access to the internet.

    Im running Knoppix off CD (latest version downloaded 31/12/2005) on my dell latitude laptop (500mhz, 192mb RAM, broken HDD, 512mb usb-key used to store knoppix config settings). I have an Edimax ew-7108g wifi card. I have installed the driver with ndiswrapper. The wifi card seems to be recognised ok - it says the driver is installed and hardware is installed.

    If I run KWifiManager it finds my router/network (conexant). signal strength is 100%. But it wont connect to it or let me use the internet. I try to ping my router (10.0.0.2) but it cannot connect (refused). When I check this with IPTRAF it seems that it is using the lo interface to connect rather than the wlan0. This may be a key to the problem.

    I have tried using netcardconfig and using DHCP broadcast - result was failed. If I dont use DHCP, it asks for lots of settings but I dont know what these should be. I have entered my encryption key and left all the others as default.

    Any advice for getting this working?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1

    Re: wifi card installed ok, still wont connect to router.

    I was having the same problem with a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop but after pulling my hair out got my connection up by...

    1st> run NDISwrapper
    2nd>configure the card using either "IWconfig" or "Wavelan configuration"
    3rd>unplug your router and wait 30 seconds... then plug it back in
    4th>clicking on "Network card configuration" should now fetch the IP address from the router

    ***Note: I still have a very slow DNS name lookup problem after I got connected. Once the router finds the web site the info downloads quickly but the name lookup process is still slow and frustrating. Obviously this is not a good cure-all. I am running a Dell router.. may have to swap it out and see if this fixes things.

    Let me know if this works for you.



    Quote Originally Posted by zaccraven
    Problem: I cannot connect to the LAN and get access to the internet.

    Im running Knoppix off CD (latest version downloaded 31/12/2005) on my dell latitude laptop (500mhz, 192mb RAM, broken HDD, 512mb usb-key used to store knoppix config settings). I have an Edimax ew-7108g wifi card. I have installed the driver with ndiswrapper. The wifi card seems to be recognised ok - it says the driver is installed and hardware is installed.

    If I run KWifiManager it finds my router/network (conexant). signal strength is 100%. But it wont connect to it or let me use the internet. I try to ping my router (10.0.0.2) but it cannot connect (refused). When I check this with IPTRAF it seems that it is using the lo interface to connect rather than the wlan0. This may be a key to the problem.

    I have tried using netcardconfig and using DHCP broadcast - result was failed. If I dont use DHCP, it asks for lots of settings but I dont know what these should be. I have entered my encryption key and left all the others as default.

    Any advice for getting this working?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2
    thanks for that.

    actually after i made this post i managed to ping my desktop on 10.0.0.3, but for some reason it still wouldnt get anything from the internet or connect to the router setup on 10.0.0.2. I think it was just a local LAN setup thing.

    I have since ordered a new harddrive for my laptop and I will install fedora core3 on it. I just wanted to see if I could manage without a HDD via knoppix but its too slow and difficult to save settings (even with a 512mb usb key).

Similar Threads

  1. Can't connect to internet through router
    By archimedes1981 in forum Networking
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 06:18 PM
  2. Can't connect with built in wifi card (NEWBIE) HELP!!!!!
    By deejay1127 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2006, 01:44 AM
  3. Unable to connect to router with V3.9
    By lostinspace in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 09:00 PM
  4. Noob... Can't connect to my router
    By axopro in forum Networking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 03:38 AM
  5. Super Noob - Connecting to WiFi Router with laptop!
    By Deagle123 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 05:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot

$385.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55