Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: converting avi files to mpeg?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    converting avi files to mpeg?

    Got this pc camera (logitech) and so far i can only run same on winxp. I want to view the videos on knoppix but the logitech software only produces avi files. They don't play very well with xine even with the latest codecs. So I see this program ffmpeg which is supposed to convert video files from one format to another. I'll be danged if I can get it to work. It always crashes with some vague error message. Does anyone know of any reliable linux/knoppix program that I can use to do the file conversions? There seems to be tons of them available for win$ but I don't want to use those.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    I had success with
    <code>
    mencoder -oac pcm -ovc lavc "Unicycle Jousting.avi" -o UniJ.mpg
    </code>

    The "pcm" and "lavc" were pure guesswork on my part
    "mencoder -oac help" shows a available audiocodecs, -ovc does the same for videocodecs.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203
    Thank you, angor. I'm using the knoppix 4.02 DVD and it has ffmpeg but it doesn't seem to have mencoder. Any thoughts?

    I've got a limited understanding of all of this but it seems to me that these conversion apps are dependent on having the right codec installed. In my situation I guess if I had the right codec, if one existed, then I could play the file successfully and wouldn't need to convert it.

Similar Threads

  1. Converting a laptop to picture frame
    By Davy27 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 08:56 PM
  2. Converting RPM package to deb pkg gives error. Oracle instal
    By deepak_abc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 03:54 PM
  3. Converting RPM to DEB
    By Sabih in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 10:36 PM
  4. Converting german to english
    By chronictoker420 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 11:20 PM
  5. playing mpeg and other movie/video formats on knoppix
    By Atari911 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-20-2003, 11:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$13.99



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server picture

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server

$100.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Ubuntu 26.04 LTS – 3 DVD Set Desktop - Server - Studio Edition - Grade AAA+ picture

Ubuntu 26.04 LTS – 3 DVD Set Desktop - Server - Studio Edition - Grade AAA+

$13.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99