-
URGENT QUESTION - Using KNOPPIX to recover data
I understand that Knoppix can be used to read files on a corrupted Windows hard drive. The hard drive in question, which was originally set up in a dual-boot system, was installed in an old PIII system (1 Ghz processor, 256 MB RAM, 80 Gig hard drive divided into 2 partitions) which I’d bought used.
Shortly after I got it, the motherboard suffered a catastrophic failure which rendered both partitions unreadable by the usual means (I’ve since trashed that motherboard and re-built the system from scratch with the old processor and RAM. It works decently).
In the malfunction I lost some files which I did not have the chance to back up. I’ve just now tried reading the damaged hard drive using Knoppix. The Linux partition (which I think was called Hda1?) shows up fine, even though it’s no longer bootable. When I tried accessing the Windows partition (Hda0?), I got an error message saying that the drive was unmountable and did not have a detectable file system (it’s possible that I could have re-formatted the Windows partition and forgotten about it).
Is my problem beyond the capabilities of Knoppix? Do I need to purchase a Windows-based undelete/rescue program? Or is the drive partition too badly corrupted for any kind of data recovery?
Similar Threads
-
By sumann in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-11-2007, 06:48 AM
-
By robmillard in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-04-2006, 08:58 PM
-
By Israel in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-21-2005, 07:51 PM
-
By craigw79 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-12-2004, 12:09 AM
-
By bradleyko in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Pokemon 1999 Official Nintendo Squirtle Mouse Pad New In Factory Wrap
$35.00

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard
$350.00

Vintage Motion Control AB Beehive Technologies ADB I/O Interface Apple Macintosh
$239.99

Vintage 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive Cleaning Kit Lot (1 Scotch 3M + 1 Verbatim) NOS
$49.00
![Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac picture](/store/img/g/EhEAAOSwg7ZnexmU/s-l225/Apple-Macintosh-Boot-Disk-System-1-0-8-0-400-800k-.jpg)
Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac
$14.75

Vintage Tandy Color Computer Print Master Software Manual & Floppy Disk Binder
$38.00

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*
$80.00

Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards
$57.59