Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix 4.0 motorola surfboard / no internet connection

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    32

    Knoppix 4.0 motorola surfboard / no internet connection

    Hello

    I'am new at Knoppix Forum and i got a problem with my internet connection (with motorola surfboard usb cable modem). I have listed my usb components with "usbview" in KDE. There is my modem on the list, but it is "red marked". In Knoppix 3.6 everything with my internet connection was fine, I haven't got any problems. What should I do?

    Please help

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2
    I have exactly the same problem, i even used knoppix 3.6 and save the network configuration into a floppy but i cant make it load that config i dont know why. I did some tests at the booting secuense and i noticed that on knoppix 3.6 i actually does a USB scan and there it detects the Motorola Surfboard Modem, but in the 4.0.2 version it seems to skip this hotplug USB scan, i dont know why.. i hope that somebody can help me.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    32
    Hmm...

    I have installed Quantian on my harddisk (based on Knoppix 4.0 DVD). I found something.
    FIRS WAY:

    Find this file /etc/network/interfaces and put there this line:

    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    Save config and reboot.

    SECOND WAY:
    Find file /etc/modules.conf and put there this line:

    alias eth0 CDCEther

    Save config and reboot.

    The first way to fix this problem worked for me SOMETIMES???

    When I run Knoppix 4.0.2 live boot I haven't internet connection. I must type this after Knoppix boot (every time):

    # modprobe usbnet
    # ifconfig eth0 up
    # pump -i eth0

    After these 3 operations my motorola usb cable modem works fine. Is there any way to make these 3 operations automaticly during Knoppix boot?

    Please help.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4
    If you have a router, it would be better to use the Ethernet connection than USB. I have been using Knoppix for a few weeks and I have had little or no trouble withe the modem or router.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh
    If you have a router, it would be better to use the Ethernet connection than USB. I have been using Knoppix for a few weeks and I have had little or no trouble withe the modem or router.
    correct ... i use/have;
    Cable Internet -> Motorla Surboard Modem -> Ethernet to Router -> Ethernet to NIC

    using Knoppix 3.6 (Both 2.4 and 2.6.7 kernels) == No issues

    using the NIC (Network Interface Card - Ethernet) is more necessary than having the Router - yet the router affords security and ability for more than 1 PC. (LAN, Subnet)

    In knoppix 4.0.2 - IIRC, there's an issue with USB 2.0 initialization, due to a 'typo' in a config file - see post by memeber ruymbeke on [Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:46 am]
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...r=asc&start=42

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 07:52 AM
  2. Modprobe??? Usb motorola internet connection???
    By maxmartin in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-14-2006, 08:20 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 01:14 AM
  4. Knoppix Internet Connection
    By Siege in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 06:02 AM
  5. Knoppix and a internet connection that requires DNS
    By FUSiON Xbetas in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2003, 11:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



NEW Cisco Mitel 6930 IP Phone VoIP Business Phone Black Sealed picture

NEW Cisco Mitel 6930 IP Phone VoIP Business Phone Black Sealed

$89.99



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Yealink T53W Black IP Phone Verizon VoIP LOT OF 4   Business Desk Phone picture

Yealink T53W Black IP Phone Verizon VoIP LOT OF 4 Business Desk Phone

$150.00



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99



Yealink SIP-T46G IP Phone - Used picture

Yealink SIP-T46G IP Phone - Used

$33.00