Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: converting avi files to mpeg?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    converting avi files to mpeg?

    Got this pc camera (logitech) and so far i can only run same on winxp. I want to view the videos on knoppix but the logitech software only produces avi files. They don't play very well with xine even with the latest codecs. So I see this program ffmpeg which is supposed to convert video files from one format to another. I'll be danged if I can get it to work. It always crashes with some vague error message. Does anyone know of any reliable linux/knoppix program that I can use to do the file conversions? There seems to be tons of them available for win$ but I don't want to use those.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    I had success with
    <code>
    mencoder -oac pcm -ovc lavc "Unicycle Jousting.avi" -o UniJ.mpg
    </code>

    The "pcm" and "lavc" were pure guesswork on my part
    "mencoder -oac help" shows a available audiocodecs, -ovc does the same for videocodecs.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203
    Thank you, angor. I'm using the knoppix 4.02 DVD and it has ffmpeg but it doesn't seem to have mencoder. Any thoughts?

    I've got a limited understanding of all of this but it seems to me that these conversion apps are dependent on having the right codec installed. In my situation I guess if I had the right codec, if one existed, then I could play the file successfully and wouldn't need to convert it.

Similar Threads

  1. Converting a laptop to picture frame
    By Davy27 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 08:56 PM
  2. Converting RPM package to deb pkg gives error. Oracle instal
    By deepak_abc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 03:54 PM
  3. Converting RPM to DEB
    By Sabih in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 10:36 PM
  4. Converting german to english
    By chronictoker420 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 11:20 PM
  5. playing mpeg and other movie/video formats on knoppix
    By Atari911 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-20-2003, 11:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW picture

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW

$49.99



Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM) picture

Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM)

$399.49



Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9" 128GB Silver Wi-Fi SM-X400NZSAXAR

$206.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra picture

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra

$13.99



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD picture

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD

$59.99



Samsung XE303 C12 Chromebook 11.6 1.7GHz, 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, working condition picture

Samsung XE303 C12 Chromebook 11.6 1.7GHz, 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, working condition

$42.00



QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black picture

QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black

$500.00