Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Knoppix-installer / list of packages ???

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    32

    Knoppix-installer / list of packages ???

    Hello

    I am going to modify knoppix-installer, but I don't know where is the list of packages (choosing debian, knoppix, beginner installation option). Where are these files? I' am using Quantian 0.7.9.1 DVD (based on Knoppix 4.0). Please help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: Knoppix-installer / list of packages ???

    Quote Originally Posted by maxmartin
    Hello

    I am going to modify knoppix-installer, but I don't know where is the list of packages
    I give you a good advice:
    First list packages and grep only those packages you want:
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep installer
    Then re-pack that package you needt:
    Code:
    dpkg-repack knoppix-installer
    Then open mc (Midnight Commander) if you have and press button F3. Now you see everything containing to that package, not only paths but also dependencies etc.

    As you can see knoppix-installer is located in /usr/sbin/knoppix-installer and other packages you need to modify for translating in /usr/share/knoppix-installer/.


    -tapsa-

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    87
    knoppix-installer is just a set of script files that can be found in /usr/share/knoppix-installer. Be warned it aint pretty.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    32

    Knoppix-installer / list of packages ???

    Hmm...

    Ok. I will check it, but i need more time, I'am beginner in linux. Thanks for your advices -tapsa-.

    Thanks for now.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    62
    "I am going to modify knoppix-installer, but I don't know where is the list of packages..."

    Um, I don't think it exists as such. The Knoppix installer isn't a proper installer but a script to copy the live Cd to the hard drive... thus the need for a freshly formatted partition. Generally, people doing a remaster will add and remove packages in setting up the .iso.

    To leave packages out of the HD install, it should be possible to exclude their directories (assuming they were in discrete ones--not sure how to do something like this if they installed to something like /bin) from what is copied to the disk, but you would also want to manipulate the .deb database, as the packages would be missing but package management tools would think they were there.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    32
    Knoppix-installer scripts are a little bit complicated

    Is there any possible to make something like this:

    (1) Add at the first screen of the knoppix installer "language choosing option" (for example English, Polish)?

    (2) Add in knoppix-installer my installation option (there are 3 options: beginner, knoppix, debian) with my list of packages, for example "science"

    (3) And what is it: when I execute knoppix-installer from a text terminal it runs like text-mode windows installer, and when I run knoppix installer from KDE It run's in graphical mode?

    Can anyone help me? Please help

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    62
    "And what is it: when I execute knoppix-installer from a text terminal it runs like text-mode windows installer, and when I run knoppix installer from KDE It run's in graphical mode?"

    It DOES? That's either new or old. The old installer (script called knx-hdinstall) would do graphical if run in KDE, but text/curses if Knoppix was run w/o the GUI. When it changed to knoppix-installer, I remember it refusing to run if KDE wasn't running. If it works completely CLI, that means I could remove KDE and X Windows and use it as the basis for a server install. Cool.

    But my understanding of the installer script is that it is simply a copying operation, not installing packages like a traditional installer. It's limited to the packages installed in the live CD--no more, no less. The only reason it's complicated is the need for special handling of some directories (/proc, for instance), and the fact it needs to produce different versions of configuration files, and set varying permissions--especially in order to allow the three different styles of install.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    32
    Knoppix-installer only copy Knoppix from CD (DVD) to a hard disk and add some scripts? That is all?

    (1) How can I localize (translate for my language) knoppix-installer in text mode and KDE graphical mode. Which files should I edit and what is the name of tool (program, software) I can do it?

    (2) I would like to have knoppix-installer in two languages: english and polish. How can I do it?

    Any ideas?

    Please help.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    62
    "I would like to have knoppix-installer in two languages: english and polish. How can I do it?"

    You should be able to open the script in a text editor, search for the text of the display messages, and add a corresponding Polish version. In all likelihood, the same text is fed to the QT and curses versions, which would simplify the task. On the other hand, I don't know if the script calls up other scripts as it runs--which would be a complication. Also, adding to the text might make the result too big for some of the dialog boxes--though I don't remember any that are that large or busy.

    I also don't recall if the script can be successfully run from some form of hard drive install to install to a different hard drive partition. If so, that would be a way to test the edited script without completely doing a new remaster for every change you make.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    32
    Which files should I edit for translating knoppix-installer to Polish language? What tool could I use? A normal text editor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need a complete list of non-free included packages
    By artik in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 11:23 AM
  2. Complete List of Packages
    By orbert in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 09:40 PM
  3. knoppix sources.list repository incomplete list.
    By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
  4. FTP with knoppix packages
    By kamil in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 01:17 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3 picture

Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3

$185.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120 picture

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120

$999.00



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



NEW Cisco Mitel 6930 IP Phone VoIP Business Phone Black Sealed picture

NEW Cisco Mitel 6930 IP Phone VoIP Business Phone Black Sealed

$89.99