Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How do I remove a MBR on USB Drive

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3

    How do I remove a MBR on USB Drive

    Greetings all! I used syslinux to make my USB 1.0 GB stick bootable in am effort to put Knoppix 4.0 CD version on the drive. I was unsuccessful in the effort, and want to resize the drive with different partitions, but I am unable to "undo" what syslinux had done. Is there any way to remove the MBR and give me full access to the stick?

    Thanks for the help

    Jim

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    I'm not sure if this is going to be of any help to you, but I don't believe you can actually remove / delete an MBR from any disk. You can, however, overwrite it. Select the program that you would like to use: Windows loader, GRUB, LILO, etc. and follow the instruction that came with it to install it to the MBR.
    As for resizing / changing partitions: try qtparted that comes with Knoppix. Wonderful tool, I use it all the time.
    HTH.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by SiKing
    I'm not sure if this is going to be of any help to you, but I don't believe you can actually remove / delete an MBR from any disk. You can, however, overwrite it. Select the program that you would like to use: Windows loader, GRUB, LILO, etc. and follow the instruction that came with it to install it to the MBR.
    As for resizing / changing partitions: try qtparted that comes with Knoppix. Wonderful tool, I use it all the time.
    HTH.

    Ohhh, (grin)., It's quite easy to remove an MBR, i do it occasionally, though, usually by accident.

    If the device has a device file associated with it (/dev/file-name) then you can point "dd" at it.

    Very useful for backing up an MBR/table or othe disk boot sector, and for restoration.

    And if your thinking of using "dd", read up on its' manual first, very well so, it's not a toy. It is a powerfull tool that can wipe out whole partitions with a single key press.

    jm

Similar Threads

  1. After HDD instalation, I need to remove de CDROM drive...
    By edugualti in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 11:41 PM
  2. [after HDD install]kernel panic if I remove the CD drive
    By Burps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2005, 11:04 AM
  3. Remove drive icons on desktop
    By GuyLeDouche in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 09:42 PM
  4. I've lost the drive I installed on, how to remove lilo?
    By Drezliok in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 11:00 AM
  5. how to remove a packae without using apt-get remove?
    By DimGR in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$1090.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00