-
How do I remove a MBR on USB Drive
Greetings all! I used syslinux to make my USB 1.0 GB stick bootable in am effort to put Knoppix 4.0 CD version on the drive. I was unsuccessful in the effort, and want to resize the drive with different partitions, but I am unable to "undo" what syslinux had done. Is there any way to remove the MBR and give me full access to the stick?
Thanks for the help 
Jim
-
I'm not sure if this is going to be of any help to you, but I don't believe you can actually remove / delete an MBR from any disk. You can, however, overwrite it.
Select the program that you would like to use: Windows loader, GRUB, LILO, etc. and follow the instruction that came with it to install it to the MBR.
As for resizing / changing partitions: try qtparted that comes with Knoppix. Wonderful tool, I use it all the time.
HTH.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
SiKing
I'm not sure if this is going to be of any help to you, but I don't believe you can actually
remove / delete an MBR from any disk. You can, however, overwrite it.

Select the program that you would like to use: Windows loader, GRUB, LILO, etc. and follow the instruction that came with it to install it to the MBR.
As for resizing / changing partitions: try qtparted that comes with Knoppix. Wonderful tool, I use it all the time.
HTH.
Ohhh, (grin)., It's quite easy to remove an MBR, i do it occasionally, though, usually by accident.
If the device has a device file associated with it (/dev/file-name) then you can point "dd" at it.
Very useful for backing up an MBR/table or othe disk boot sector, and for restoration.
And if your thinking of using "dd", read up on its' manual first, very well so, it's not a toy. It is a powerfull tool that can wipe out whole partitions with a single key press.
jm
Similar Threads
-
By edugualti in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-06-2006, 11:41 PM
-
By Burps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-22-2005, 11:04 AM
-
By GuyLeDouche in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 15
Last Post: 04-06-2005, 09:42 PM
-
By Drezliok in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-20-2004, 11:00 AM
-
By DimGR in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

IBM SYSTEM X3550 M5 5463AC1 2.5x8 Server 2*XEON E5-2640 V3 8GB SEE NOTES
$85.99

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )
$24.99