Hey guys,
Please excuse me ... I have now found a driver at ...
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/
... and am going to try to install.
If it works OK, then I will post a notice here.
Sorry for the silly question.
Regards,
Alan Searle
I have an Asus Z92va notebook and have installed Knoppix 4.0 on the hard disk. Everything seems to work fine (including wireless LAN) but the system doesn't seem to want to recognise the soundcard (a ALC880).
I have tried various settings in the control centre (e.g. auto detect, OSS, ALSA) but always get the message 'no such device'.
The strange thing is that before I installed on Hard Disk, live booting recognised the card but refused to play any sound: In the information centre (with live boot) the soundcard was recognised with the following entries:
sound driver: 3.8.1a 980706
kernel: knoppix 2.6.12 #2
config option: 0
installed drivers: (blank)
type io: ALSA emulation
card config: HDA Intel at 0xfebf8000 irq 16
audio device: 0: ALC880 Analog (DUPLEX)
But these entries were blank with the hard disk installation. Strange?
Does anyone have any tips for me? Can adjust some settings to get this working? Or maybe download a driver? Or maybe, because the notebook is quite new, I just need to wait for a few months until a driver is produced?
And why does the Live Boot seem to recognise the card (even though it won't play sound) while the Hard Disk install does not?
Many thanks for your help.
Regards,
Alan Searle
Hey guys,
Please excuse me ... I have now found a driver at ...
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/
... and am going to try to install.
If it works OK, then I will post a notice here.
Sorry for the silly question.
Regards,
Alan Searle

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600
$239.99
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s
$59.00
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00
HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99