-
Newbie problems with remastering (long and involved)
Hello,
I am a longtime user of linux but new to Knoppix. I need to create a custom Knoppix CD
with ACPI kernel patches so that my soundcard works (hehe dont ask...funky laptop).
At any rate after creating a couple of coasters, I got comfortable with the remastering
process and finally created what I thought was a winner. I boot the CD-ROM, and
get the following error:
init not found; try passing init= to the kernel.
Alright, something obviously wrong. So I go out on a limb and try booting with:
knoppix init=/static/init
(which is what I believe to be the symlink to ash on the rootdisk). This actually does
something, but not what I expect. Instead of acting like init and running linuxrc (or
whatever init is supposed to do, Im a little fuzzy on that) I just get a root prompt. What
this tells me is that it found /static/ash on the miniroot, but why it isn't going on to
boot normally is beyond me. Furthermore. if I attempt to execute ./linuxrc from the root
shell, the normal colorful "Welcome to Knoppix!" message appears, and it seems to find
my KNOPPIX CD, it gives an error something like:
cp: cannot create /etc/ld.so.cache: /etc is a read-only filesystem
Which, I would expect, considering it's the miniroot (nothing should be written to miniroot).
It's as if whatever ram disk gets mounted for /etc isnt getting mounted.
At any rate you can tell it's one problem after another; I assume fixing the top one or two
would go a long way to explaining/fixing the others. I also have a feeling that someone with
a clue would easily be able to discern what I'm doing wrong given the symptoms...I just dont
have any clue. My miniroot.gz is setup just fine, as is boot.img, nothing else was changed
when "remastering" (all I was really doing is replacing a kernel). I have verified that the
working KNOPPIX CD I have is identical (seemingly) to my custom KNOPPIX CD's boot
files, but obviously something wrong.
To sum up:
1. Why does the kernel not find /static/init on it's own (kernel boots and miniroot expands correctly as far as I can tell)?
2. When knoppix is booted with init=/static/init, why am I given a normal root shell instead
of init (ash-knoppix) going on to continue the boot process normally.
3. Why aren't the correct ramdisks, etc. being created so that the linuxrc script can do it's work in /etc and other directories.
Thanks...I assume the answer is simple and owe whoever can help me out an immeasurable debt. 
Merc
Similar Threads
-
By raj1478 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 09:26 AM
-
By Georgy#28 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-11-2004, 02:20 PM
-
By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-17-2003, 10:48 PM
-
By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-17-2003, 03:15 AM
-
By wanderer in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-11-2003, 04:36 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Laptop Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 Ryzen 5 PRO 5650U 16GB 500GB Black Fair
$18150.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$249.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99