Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Problems with the chroot command

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3

    Problems with the chroot command

    Hi everyone!

    I'm attempting to create my own distro for corporate use. I'm following the directions in last months Linux Format mag. I had some issues getting the required files copied over, but managed to circumvent that. I'm now at a point where I need to run the chroot command, to make changes to my distro - add/remove programs, etc...

    I'm running the command, but it keeps telling me that there is no such file or directory.

    The image drive is hdb1 (2nd hard drive), and I'm running in the root shell. Below is the command I'm attempting to run from the mnt directory:

    chroot hdb1/mnt/drive/knoppix-tmp/source/KNOPPIX

    I've also tried chroot /hdb1/mnt/drive/knoppix-tmp/source/KNOPPIX with no success.

    I'm not sure why the system tells me that there is no such file or directory. Prior to running this command, I've mounted hdb1 with read/write access, and I am able to copy files over. The pc has Mandriva installed on hda1, but I'm actually running the chroot command from the cd.


    Thanks alot for your suggestions!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    I'm probably missing something in your post but what I usually do to chroot into a drive is:

    as root:

    mkdir /mnt/hdx
    mount /dev/hdx /mnt/hdx # with whatever options
    chroot /mnt/hdx

    then navigate the filesystem.

    HTH

Similar Threads

  1. chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': Exec format error
    By debiminho in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 05:32 PM
  2. Problems with chroot
    By MoDri in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-10-2005, 09:57 AM
  3. Running X before chroot...
    By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 04:12 PM
  4. chroot help
    By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
  5. To chroot or not to chroot
    By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro picture

Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro

$79.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex picture

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex

$159.99



HP EliteBook 840 G8 Laptop 14” FHD Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

HP EliteBook 840 G8 Laptop 14” FHD Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$299.99