Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Problems with the chroot command

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3

    Problems with the chroot command

    Hi everyone!

    I'm attempting to create my own distro for corporate use. I'm following the directions in last months Linux Format mag. I had some issues getting the required files copied over, but managed to circumvent that. I'm now at a point where I need to run the chroot command, to make changes to my distro - add/remove programs, etc...

    I'm running the command, but it keeps telling me that there is no such file or directory.

    The image drive is hdb1 (2nd hard drive), and I'm running in the root shell. Below is the command I'm attempting to run from the mnt directory:

    chroot hdb1/mnt/drive/knoppix-tmp/source/KNOPPIX

    I've also tried chroot /hdb1/mnt/drive/knoppix-tmp/source/KNOPPIX with no success.

    I'm not sure why the system tells me that there is no such file or directory. Prior to running this command, I've mounted hdb1 with read/write access, and I am able to copy files over. The pc has Mandriva installed on hda1, but I'm actually running the chroot command from the cd.


    Thanks alot for your suggestions!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    I'm probably missing something in your post but what I usually do to chroot into a drive is:

    as root:

    mkdir /mnt/hdx
    mount /dev/hdx /mnt/hdx # with whatever options
    chroot /mnt/hdx

    then navigate the filesystem.

    HTH

Similar Threads

  1. chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': Exec format error
    By debiminho in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 05:32 PM
  2. Problems with chroot
    By MoDri in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-10-2005, 09:57 AM
  3. Running X before chroot...
    By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 04:12 PM
  4. chroot help
    By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
  5. To chroot or not to chroot
    By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis

$274.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server w/ 2* Intel Xeon E5-2667v3 CPU, NO RAM,NO HDDs picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server w/ 2* Intel Xeon E5-2667v3 CPU, NO RAM,NO HDDs

$74.80