Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Burning a disk?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3

    Burning a disk?

    I am attempting to use knoppix to recover the data from my hard drive that crashed. I want to burn the data off of my old drive to CD's/DVD's and am having some difficulty doing it. I'm brand new with Knoppix so my knowledge is pretty limited.


    I am using Knoppix 4.02
    I have 2 writeable drives, one CD and one DVD
    I have set the drive permissions to write (I beleive I have - i right click on the drive, select properties, permissions and make them writeable)
    I right click on the drive, select the make data disk and I put the files I select the files I want to burn.

    When I try to burn the CD it does a couple of things.
    First it says there is no writeable CD in the drive. (There is)
    Second it says I get an error that basiclly says (Error, unable to determine the size of the volume to be written)

    I'm sure i'm making some simple mistake but as stated above I'm new at this. Can someone assist me? Even just a link to an idiot resistant set of instructions on burning data disks would be highly appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    eh, try startin K3b and use that to burn your CD's it is fairly easy to use.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3
    I wasn't entirely clear with my original post. I am trying to burn the CD's with K3b, the error's I'm getting are from K3B.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    I seem to remember that older versions of k3b were quite buggy, so I quit using it.
    Though it will probably be ugly to you, give the command line a try.

    First open up a console in which you type
    <code>
    sudo su -
    </code>

    Next, you need to determine the hardware driver:
    <code>
    cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI
    </code>
    Leave "dev=ATAPI" out if your burner is SCSI. You will see strings like
    0,0,0 0) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVD-RW GCA-4080N' '0H38' Removable CD-ROM

    In this case the device is "0,0,0" and we'll need it for the burning command.
    Now mount the partition you want to save data off by clicking its icon or by entering
    <code>
    mount /dev/hdaX /mnt/hdaX
    <code>
    and replace X with the appropriate number. Also substitute sda for hda in case of SCSI.

    We're now ready to roll:
    <code>
    mkisofs -J -r -v /mnt/hdaX | cdrecord -v -pad dev=0,0,0 -
    </code>
    The symbol between hdaX and cdrecord is the "vertical bar", not a "one" or an "ell".

    Now pray and wait. If your burner is ATAPI, you might want to try "dev=/dev/hdY"
    with Y=(a|b|c|d) (probably c) instead of "dev=0,0,0".

    HTH

Similar Threads

  1. Scan disk/ disk repair feature?
    By mystmaiden in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2009, 11:38 PM
  2. Disk Problem - Help to recover 4G disk space
    By pau1knopp in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2006, 12:15 AM
  3. isolinux: disk error 01, AX=42080d, disk=9F
    By bottomer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 02:20 PM
  4. knoppix as a repair disk: cant find "scan disk"
    By briankinder in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 01:53 AM
  5. cd burning
    By sopo in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 11:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99



Interactive Quarterly Digizine Vol 1 CD-ROM 1996 PC Mac Pamela Anderson Vintage picture

Interactive Quarterly Digizine Vol 1 CD-ROM 1996 PC Mac Pamela Anderson Vintage

$65.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$155.00



185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$99.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer

$95.00



Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage picture

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage

$249.00