Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: To good to be true>>!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    1

    To good to be true>>!

    How are you knoppix experts?I wish a happy new year to all.I am a very new user of knoppix,before all I read for a month live knoppix.Than last weekend I download the knoppix v4.0.2 dvd thru bittorrent, I made my dell 8300 boot from my dvd player.Everything went fine I cheked the kde and gnome desk top and start Following in love with linux.After that experience I was ready to create a dual boot in oder to be part of linux.But when I try to reebot to windos xp my hardrive it dissapear.Than I checked my bios and appears to be disconnected after I use knoppix.Now I am asking for your help in this matter.I have windows xp svce pack 1 and I use pentuim 4 2.80 intel chip.The live dvd that I download is for all intel chips.Iam located in N.Y so I realy hoppe that somebody help me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Welcome To Linux!!

    Knoppix and Linux is pretty cool!

    You are on your way.

    Ok, it sounds like you did a common newbie mistake of overwriting your HDD's master boot record by installing Lilo over it thus trashing the MBR that XP uses.

    To fix Windows XP so it will boot again you can easily do this with FDISK /MBR. This assumes you have a DOS disk with FDISK on it. If not you will have to use your Windows XP install disk and have it boot to the command console. It will have commands in it like "Fix MBR" and "Make System Bootable". I haven't looked at it in a while so the wording is probably not exact. (I don't use Windows much anymore)

    I think you will need to reinstall Knoppix. But this time, put Lilo on the Linux partition you created for Knoppix. Be very careful about that.

    sakiZ

Similar Threads

  1. How To remaster a True Knoppix 5.11
    By mr-roboto in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2007, 04:43 PM
  2. True Type Fonts?
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 02:30 PM
  3. Prometeus-III the profecy is true :-)
    By Arman in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2003, 11:21 AM
  4. Using True Type fonts
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 07:38 PM
  5. Is it Possible to Use True Type Fonts?
    By primetime in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 05:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor picture

Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor

$70.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance picture

NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance

$29.99



Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card picture

Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card

$26.21