-
To good to be true>>!
How are you knoppix experts?I wish a happy new year to all.I am a very new user of knoppix,before all I read for a month live knoppix.Than last weekend I download the knoppix v4.0.2 dvd thru bittorrent, I made my dell 8300 boot from my dvd player.Everything went fine I cheked the kde and gnome desk top and start Following in love with linux.After that experience I was ready to create a dual boot in oder to be part of linux.But when I try to reebot to windos xp my hardrive it dissapear.Than I checked my bios and appears to be disconnected after I use knoppix.Now I am asking for your help in this matter.I have windows xp svce pack 1 and I use pentuim 4 2.80 intel chip.The live dvd that I download is for all intel chips.Iam located in N.Y so I realy hoppe that somebody help me.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Welcome To Linux!!
Knoppix and Linux is pretty cool!
You are on your way.
Ok, it sounds like you did a common newbie mistake of overwriting your HDD's master boot record by installing Lilo over it thus trashing the MBR that XP uses.
To fix Windows XP so it will boot again you can easily do this with FDISK /MBR. This assumes you have a DOS disk with FDISK on it. If not you will have to use your Windows XP install disk and have it boot to the command console. It will have commands in it like "Fix MBR" and "Make System Bootable". I haven't looked at it in a while so the wording is probably not exact. (I don't use Windows much anymore) 
I think you will need to reinstall Knoppix. But this time, put Lilo on the Linux partition you created for Knoppix. Be very careful about that.
sakiZ
Similar Threads
-
By mr-roboto in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-13-2007, 04:43 PM
-
By JockVSJock in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-23-2003, 02:30 PM
-
By Arman in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-27-2003, 11:21 AM
-
By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 06-09-2003, 07:38 PM
-
By primetime in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-20-2003, 05:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99

AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF
$215.00