Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Laptop Problem...Can you help?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120

    Laptop Problem...Can you help?

    Linux newbie here....

    I burned Knoppix 3.8 onto a CD, and it runs great on a Gateway PC.
    But when I try to run it on my old IBM Thinkpad I get:
    <0>Kernel Panic - Not Syncing: Attempted to Kill Init!

    I tried a bunch of cheats. And I couldn't get it to work. So I tried this one:
    boot: knoppix acpi=off pnpbio=off noapic noapm
    And got:
    ERROR: CANNOT UNITE READ-ONLY MEDIA AND INITIAL RAMDISK!

    Other Live CDs work well on this laptop, but I'd really like to get Knoppix on it.

    Any suggestions?
    Thanks...

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3

    Same Problem

    I had the same problem when I tried to boot, I got the error message
    ERROR: CANNOT UNITE READ-ONLY MEDIA AND INITIAL RAMDISK!

    I'm currently re-downloading the disk immage and am going to try again tonight.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Same Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by riles
    I'm currently re-downloading the disk immage and am going to try again tonight.
    If the md5 sum is good then you have a good image, if it doesn't match them you have a bad image. There should never be a case where you don't know and have to try again. It sounds more likely to me that the disc was burned improperly at high speed. I suggest following all of the advice in the downloading faq.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3
    Yah I didn't bother to check the MD5 the first time. Or follow the download instructions.


    Any suggestions if that still doesn't work? The origional poster (jacksonon) seemed to have a good copy, but it wouldn't run on his laptop either.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if burning a *.iso that has passed a md5 check at 1-4X (or atleast as slow as your burner/software can do it) wont help...
    we take that when it comes, a unlikely senario, a dirty lens and faulty cable are two candidates.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41
    I have similar problems with my Pentium II Thinkpad. It's the CD-ROM drive; it doesn't like burned disks. It boots with pressed Knoppix CDs but not burned ones. It starts to boot but then encounters "cloop" errors and the like.

    You can boot Knoppix (3.7, at least) on another computer with the tohd option to get an image on a USB memory stick:

    knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1

    Then plug the stick into the Thinkpad and boot from a burned CD with the fromhd cheatcode:

    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1

    edit: I just booted 3.7 on the Thinkpad from a burned CD and the nodma option:

    knoppix nodma

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3
    I checked the md5 for the origional file I downloaded and it didn't match. The re-download matched and it burned onto the cd fine from my laptop (Acer TravelMate 4000) using NTI CD. Knoppix seems to be running fine. Now to configure it... =)

    Thanks guys.

Similar Threads

  1. problem with my laptop to set up networking
    By nameck in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 11:36 AM
  2. Boot problem on Compaq Armada Laptop
    By elimar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2005, 12:34 AM
  3. help me!!! big problem with my laptop
    By bangkokzzh in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2005, 08:49 AM
  4. wireless problem on laptop
    By cbrands in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 04:29 AM
  5. HD install - laptop restart problem
    By rctRO in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2003, 05:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray

$356.80



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99