-
Junior Member
registered user
Linux boot woes
I have just finished installing Knoppix 4.0 on my hard drive using the instructions in the wiki. I have been successful with the live version but I wanted a full install on my box.
I have Windows XP on the first partition of a single hard drive of 80 gigs. I installed a Linux swap partition of 1gig as my second partition. The third partition was 15 Gigs for the Knoppix install.
I can boot to windows just fine, but when I try to get to my Knoppix I get the following error message.
"kernal panic not syncing vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown - block (8,3)."
I will assume that my kernel is not on that block (yea yea yea).
My Grub file reads as follows for the Linux section of the boot,
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.612 root=/dev/sda3 ro ### isk_size=100000 in initrd /boot initrd.img-2.6.12
savedefault
boot
actually my swap partition is the second partition on the drive. and the Linux partition is the third, it looks like it's looking at the swap partition for the kernal on (hd0,2).
Does this grub file look okay? Being a newbie I didn't like the looks of the "###" in this file.
Could someone please help. I'm just trying to rid myself of Mr. B Gates and company.
Thank you in advance,
Chip
I was able to get this boot working by removing the ### and making it read ro ramdisk.
Similar Threads
-
By Jakykong in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-14-2005, 08:36 AM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-31-2005, 03:03 PM
-
By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
-
By Shadda in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-12-2005, 04:45 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-22-2003, 01:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00