-
Persistent disk image questions
Hi,
Newbie here.
I am enjoying using knoppix CD and am very impressed it.
I have a few questions about the persistent disk image.
I havent tried to use it yet as I don't want my Hard drive to be alterd.
If I use my hard drive does it save the disk image as a file or does it add a new partition?
I understand I can also use a USB memory stick for a disk image, would the image be saved as a file and would I still be able to use it under windows?
Also what information is stored in the disk image? If I set up my email and save a disk image would that data be stored?
If I installed a new program could that information be stored too?
What I am thinking is the posibility to use a live CD with a USB memory stick and use knoppix as if it were installed on my hard drive.
Also one more unrelated question, what is the diffrence between the live CD and DVD? I assume the DVD has more software pre-installed? is it woth using the live DVD for a newbie?
Thanks for your time.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I am new to Knoppix and had the same concern, but decided to save it on a non-primary HD. It is just a file. When (if) you launch in Windows, it will just be a file on your HD. I can see no ill effects.
-
Junior Member
registered user
You might also want to read these recent messages:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22804
I was not aware of this and it is only luck that of the three HDs I have in this PC 2 are NTFS and one is FAT and the FAT HD is the one I saved the persistent image on.
-
Senior Member
registered user
i have a external usb hdd (not a pen) it is 120G in size and i have a 1G persistent home on it.
be certain that you save the image to a FAT partition or a FAT formated pen...
or ofcource some Linux format.
-
Junior Member
registered user
OErian, when you save a file to Home does this actually save it to the persistant file, or do you also have to write over the old persistant file with a new one at the end of each session in order to save them to the HD?
-
Senior Member
registered user
it usualy saves it in the persistent home. the configs are saved in the two config files (you hget 3 files in all on the disk if you save everything)
-
Thanks for the replys. I have tested it on a 64mb USB stick and works well, Desktop background, email settings etc are all stored. One thing im not 100% on is what diffrent information is stored in a Persistant disk image than just saving config? do I need to use both or if I use a PDI does that save the same info as save config?
Also If I boot and ask knoppix to load a config file (knoppix config=scan at boot prompt) as well as having my PDI restored does the system check what diffrent USB devices are attached or does the information from the config or PDI force the system to expect the same devices that were attached when the images were made? Does that make sence?
Basically I have my 64mb USB stick with PDI and config saved always in & is always mountable.
I also have a 120GB USB hard drive not mountable now but has been used and an IPOD again not mountable but I have used it in the past. when I created the PDI and saved config I unplugged the 120GB Hdd and iPOD while knoppix was running so Icons still showed on Desktop (so that I didnt accidently wipe them or something). now when I boot I cannot mount either USB HDD or iPOD eventhough their icons are on the Desktop?
-
Senior Member
registered user
right-klick and unmount if you are uncertain, do NOT unplug until unmounted.
actually removing something without unmounting is BAD!
it is one &(/&(/ of a risk that you corupt the data stored on those devices severely, AND you would upset the permanent home/saved configs equaly badly.
try to do it all over again, the risk of wiping is multiplied when you remove like that.
I repeat
save everything right-klick and unmount if you are uncertain, do NOT unplug until unmounted.
Similar Threads
-
By brian3.parker in forum Laptops
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-02-2010, 05:42 PM
-
By Marge in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-09-2009, 04:57 PM
-
By Rene in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-20-2007, 10:07 AM
-
By rspiteri in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-07-2007, 01:54 PM
-
By mhuang in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$109.99

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer
$649.95

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99

Rare Vintage DEC DIGITAL DFO3 modem ~Powers Up but UNTESTED #1
$75.00

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99