Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: small problemo with screen resolution

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2

    small problemo with screen resolution

    I loaded Knoppix (Debian) on my new Dell PC. Everything went ok...although it looked like my screen resolution was set a bit low. I went to the terminal and typed in the new screen resolution. Apon re-booting, I get a bunch of squiggly lines on my monitor. Now obviously I can not see to "get back in" to change the resolution back. When I re-boot, I hit "E" and get the GRUB> prompt. How can I get back to root to type in origional screen settings. I can still boot and run knoppix off of the dvd....but when I change the settings in the terminal window there... I guess it does not "remember" the setting so when I re-boot I am back to squigly lines.

    Any help would be appreciated. I have a 19 inch digital flat screen monitor and sure would like to be able to use it at the higher resoltions....

    Sorry for such a N00B question...but I'm kinda excited and really want to get Knoppix (Debian) back upand running as it is the first distro out of like 10....that actually did WORK (for a while Smile on my pooter.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    boot knoppix CD/DVD
    mount the "/" partition of your knoppix install
    change the /mnt/knoppixpartition/etc/X11/Xorg.conf or /etc/X11/Xfree86.conf (depending on distribution) text file as you require.
    type sync and hit enter
    unmount the partition
    shutdown Knoppix
    when you now reboot you should have the corect settings.

    OR

    you could type something like "knoppix init=1" in the grub console, do the changes and type init=5 to get regular X-login.

Similar Threads

  1. small screen size
    By ownagestudios in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-2006, 02:16 AM
  2. small problemo
    By seanl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 02:45 AM
  3. Screen Resolution
    By tilleyrw in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 11:01 AM
  4. Video Resolution to small how to make it bigger?
    By goudiemark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 10:06 PM
  5. Screen resolution
    By sanjay in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-22-2003, 06:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung PM43H 43

Samsung PM43H 43" Commercial Display READ

$300.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20

Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20" 1600x900 Resolution WideScreen LCD Monitor

$41.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab A11+ 5G  Tablet 11” 128GB Memory /6gb Ram gray picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab A11+ 5G Tablet 11” 128GB Memory /6gb Ram gray

$190.00