-
Junior Member
registered user
can not get online
I have no problem getting online when running Windows XP, but when I run the KNOPPIX DVD it will not connect.
The network card identifies as 3COM 3C900B TPO (generic) in Windows.
With Knoppix 4.0.2 on DVD I only get the loopback. Have used the netcardconfig to try to get a DHCP IP address but that fails.
Trying to set IP manually does not work either.
During loading of Knoppix I see the eth0.
Suggestions for a Linux newbie?
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
use the comand: lspci -v
to see what hardware it is identifying
use the command: lsmod | sort
to get a list of loaded drivers. you hould see one entry as 3c90x
use the command: dmesg | grep -i eth
to see what drive & details if any it has loaded
use the command: ifconfig -a
to list all detected nework devices
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks,
lspci -v found my modem, 3Com network card and Matrox video card
lsmod | sort first item is 3c59x, further down the list is mii 3c59x
dmesg | grep -i eth no response
ifconfig -a eth0 lo sit0 all show errors:0
-
Junior Member
registered user
I do notice that when I run netcardconfig and do a DHCP broadcast, the light for the port on my linksys router goes out and then comes back on. Seems some activity is there.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Network Tools - Devices only shows loopback.
-
Junior Member
registered user
ping 192.168.1.1 to Linksys router fails
-
Junior Member
registered user
ifconfig eth0 up
returns:
SIOCSIFFLAGS: permission denied
-
Junior Member
registered user
Success!!
I am posting this message via Knoppix!
I never could get a DHCP but I started playing around with the various manual IP addressesin netcardconfig and got it to work.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Rik
Success!!
I am posting this message via Knoppix!
I never could get a DHCP but I started playing around with the various manual IP addressesin netcardconfig and got it to work.
This can be put in Wiki or something like that (I personaly can't do that, bad english, not enough knowledge)!
I have plain ADSL modem, D-Link DSL-300T. Modem is setup as bridge, as my IP said to me. Every Linux distribution ask me for different setup, some can't connect at all. Network card can be setup, in general, in 3 ways - DHCP, static and "none". Than, you try and try and try.... Some distribution are smart enough to do by itself, other not. But, the most important thing is to know that there is a way to connect.
-
Junior Member
registered user
It was an interesting experience. I think getting the correct gateway and DNS IP's in the manual setup is what made the difference. I used another computer running XP to log into my Linksys router and got the needed IP's there.
Similar Threads
-
By Aspra in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-31-2006, 12:41 AM
-
By dog_soldier in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-02-2006, 12:44 AM
-
By gadgerama in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-19-2005, 11:30 AM
-
By oc in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-27-2003, 04:20 AM
-
By Firstimer in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-20-2003, 06:36 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$119.99

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99

Samsung Chromebook 4 11.6" HD, N4000, 6GB, 64GB EMMC, Platinum Titan
$165.00

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77