I have just installed Knoppix 4.0.2 to an external USB hard drive connected to my laptop. The install went smoothly, but when I boot from it I cant get past the grub editor. Here is what it outputs,
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet noscsi vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot
Im not sure how to make this work, I have searched the web for solutions, but so far nothing has worked.
My external drive is parted up like this, (from qparted)
/dev/sda
01 /dev/sda1 ext3 9.31GB
02 /dev/sda2 linux swap 953.67MB
03 /dev/sda3 ext3 60.83GB
04 /dev/sda-1 free 3.45GB
I want to run knoppix on the external drive and not partition my internal laptop drive (only 40 gigs)
Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00
Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99
IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys
$549.95