I have just installed Knoppix 4.0.2 to an external USB hard drive connected to my laptop. The install went smoothly, but when I boot from it I cant get past the grub editor. Here is what it outputs,
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet noscsi vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot
Im not sure how to make this work, I have searched the web for solutions, but so far nothing has worked.
My external drive is parted up like this, (from qparted)
/dev/sda
01 /dev/sda1 ext3 9.31GB
02 /dev/sda2 linux swap 953.67MB
03 /dev/sda3 ext3 60.83GB
04 /dev/sda-1 free 3.45GB
I want to run knoppix on the external drive and not partition my internal laptop drive (only 40 gigs)
Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99
Cisco FPR-1010 V01 Firepower 1010 Firewall 8-Port GbE 2x PoE+ Lightly Used
$199.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00