I guess I would start looking in the source code for 'su'
I was reading about toor, baron, and avatar the other day, when I decided to replace root with avatar. Easy process, just made avatar with the uid 0, made the home directory, and then once I could log in as him, deleted root. Everything works fine for the most part (Auke Kok - lead developer of my distro - even made a change to one of the Lunar-Linux core tools so that it would check for uid 0 instead of root), except su. I have to use su avatar, or su - avatar because su looks for root. But on BeOS and systems that don't have the superuser named root, su doesn't look for root. Is there a separate shadow code for these guys? Did developers hack it out or something? Or is there an option to be used with configure when compiling shadow? To summarize...I replaced root with avatar, and su still looks for root, how do I fix this?
I guess I would start looking in the source code for 'su'
That's the shadow source code, su and a few other things are built into it. But I didn't find anything that was really a red flag distinguishing root from anything else.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$13.99
Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Max Router - 5x 2.5GbE - IDS/IPS 2.3 Gbps - UXG-Max
$180.00
CHEECENT CR202 WiFi USB Print Server 2-Port for Windows, Mac, Linux
$64.99
Dell PowerEdge R740xd Server 2.8Ghz 32-Core 384GB RAM 3.2TB Storage Debian Linux
$5969.95
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$299.00
NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00