to install grub to the master boot record: grub-install /dev/hda
I just finished the default knoppix 4.0.2 installation.
I'm told I should use grub-install because the I can specify "lang=us dma" in the configuration file. I've been reading http://orgs.man.ac.uk/documentation/grub/grub_16.html but I cannot figure out what to specify for the required device parameter.
I try grub-instal hda0 and it says "format of installed device not recognized".
I try grup-install hd0 (as exemplified in the documentation) and it says "Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device."
I try "grub-install hda" and it says "Format of install_device not recognized."
I try "grub-install /dev/hda1" and it says "Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device."
Thanks,
Siegfried
knoppix@0[knoppix]$ sudo fdisk -l
Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4864 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 6 48163+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda2 7 4767 38242732+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda3 4768 4864 779152+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
knoppix@0[knoppix]$
to install grub to the master boot record: grub-install /dev/hda

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00