I am also not sure if i completely understand your problem but........If Linux can't do it there is a dos app that can mount an NTFS drive in read write mode....the free (but read only) version is here http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...fsdospro.shtml
The paid version is quite pricey running in at $299 American dollars (http://www.winternals.com/products/r...ntfsdospro.asp). That is very expensive.....An alternative would be to backup your entire drive to another drive (Knoopix has this i believe it is called partition image) then try and remove the file using Knoppix....if it works Great! if not then restore the backup. (Note: at the very least you can pull your needed data off the busted XP install and format) There is also another solution that is also expensive running in at $399 American dollars ...(http://www.winternals.com/products/r...mander2002.asp) ERD Commander.....it is a very stripped down version of XP that loads into memory....I won't even compare it with Knoppix. But that allows you to change the file structure of NTFS drives as well.

Wow I hope that was clear enough for ya

-Dustin