Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Installed 3.8

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Installed 3.8

    I installed 3.8 on my IBM Think Pad T20. It will boot right into windows, but I do not get the option to dual boot. I know I forgot a step, but the system was successfully installed. 2.5GB partition and 500MB Swap File. I am new at Linux and wanted to not use the CD each time to boot. Any suggestions would I would appreciate. Remember I am brand new at Linux and Knoppix.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    You need to install a boot manager to be able to have the dual option: GRUB is the suggested. See http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Poor_Mans_Install

    HTH, SiKing

  3. #3
    I have the dual boot option... One issue though, I am using 3.82 and the loader shows me 3.8.1. Following the directions I got the 3.8.2 add on and can't get it to pop into the menu. How do I remove the other options like 3.6 and 3.7 and 3.81 and only have 3.8.2


    Thanks.. Up late working on this and enjoying the fun...

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    You need to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file. Instructions are here:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/

  5. #5
    Edited the Menus LST and now it says can't find... I do appreciate your help as I am very new to this.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    You will need to be a lot more specific. What did you end up with after the edit? What can it not find?

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Succesfully installed but grub installed in root
    By param85047 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2006, 11:30 PM
  3. 3.6 installed - NOW what?
    By bcalder in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
  4. Just installed, need some help.
    By Harami in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 03:09 AM
  5. Where is php installed
    By philipx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 06:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00