Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Remaster doesn't boot into KDE

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12

    Remaster doesn't boot into KDE

    I'm not new to remastering knoppix, I've got a pretty decent process worked out for myself now, but on this particular remaster of 4.0.2, on bootup my remaster finishes the hardware autodetection and switches to runlevel 5, and then halts and gives me a prompt, no booting into KDE.

    If I do an whoami, knoppix tells me I'm still root. so if I su - knoppix, then startx my remaster runs fine with all my changes in KDE restored properly.

    The only files that I've changed are knoppix-autoconfig in /etc/init.d and 45xsession in /etc/X11/Xsession.d. If I revert back to the orignials of those files from the 4.0.2 distro, and rebuild my remaster, same result, as well the changes that I make to those files has worked in all my past remasters, so I'm confident it's nothing to do with those files....

    my question is, what file switches to runlevel 5, and from there, where is KDE loaded? I think I may have deleted something accidently that's causing it to stop booting. Any ideas?

    Thanks for any help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: Remaster doesn't boot into KDE

    Quote Originally Posted by katana5
    my question is, what file switches to runlevel 5, and from there, where is KDE loaded?
    /etc/init.d/xsession

    If your problem was only starting KDE, perhaps /tmp/.ICE-unix has wrong owner. It should be root and permissions should be 1777.

    I'm not sure, but perhaps /etc/X11/Xsession should be also original Knoppix file - upgrading want to replace it with a new file. I think I had sometimes problems starting X because of that.

    -tapsa-

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12
    I think that may solve it.
    I noticed last night that /etc/init.d/xsession was missing. So I replaced it from the original CD, remastered and same result.

    Just checked the/tmp/.ICE-unix, and on the original there are a number of KDE directories, on my remaster the /tmp directory is empty..

    So when I get home from work I'll copy the files in /tmp from the original 4.0.2 to see if that fixes it.

    Thanks for the help.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3
    Check your /etc/inittab and verify that the last line is

    x5:5:wait:/etc/init.d/xsession start

    I found that when I did the build of the compressed filesystem and replied Yes to the "Do you want to cleanup" question this line was deleted.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12
    So I had all of the above issues.
    /etc/init.d/xsession was missing.

    /etc/inittab was also missing 2 lines at the end which called /etc/init.d/xsession

    So I've replaced those two files, as well copied the original /etc/X11/Xsession file as suggested as well.

    My remaster now boots into X, but hangs just after I get the grey & black checkerd screen and a mouse cursor. I can move the mouse cursor, but waiting does not result in KDE starting up. If I do a ctrl-alt-backspace to kill the x server, and then su - knoppix, startx everything works fine.

    I've looked to see about /tmp/.ICE-unix, this file seems to be generated on startup, as I can't locate it anywhere on the original CD in I boot it into run level 2.
    If I boot all the way to run level 5, it exists in /ramdisk/tmp /tmp symlink.

    Also, another oddity that I have discovered. If I symlink /tmp to /ramdisk/tmp, when I run my remaster scripts to build the ISO image, it won't do it.. Anyone run into this as well?

    I'm like 95% there, I think there might just be a permissions problem, or when /etc/init.d/xsession executes, it's not fully transferring to user knoppix.

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by katana5
    My remaster now boots into X, but hangs just after I get the grey & black checkerd screen and a mouse cursor. I can move the mouse cursor, but waiting does not result in KDE starting up. If I do a ctrl-alt-backspace to kill the x server, and then su - knoppix, startx everything works fine.
    Black screen with X (mouse cursor) means that X server is running but Display Manager (kdm) not.

    Do you have kdm installed? Do you have /etc/X11/X.session.d/45xsession file existing which creates home directory?

    -tapsa-

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12
    I'll have to check on those two,
    I would have to assume that by manually changing to user knoppix, and running startx that would prove that kdm is in fact installed since my remaster loads properly if I do that.

    I'll double check that my remastering didn't blow away the 45xsession file though.

    Thanks for your help.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12
    So I checked, kdm is infact installed, and 45Xsession exists. So the problem is that the Xserver starts but then does not load the display manager.

    Is it possible it's permissions related? is there any way to launch /etc/xsession with a trace or debug on to see if something is not executing properly?

    Thanks for any help.

Similar Threads

  1. boot remaster with squashfs
    By nvgringo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 01:12 AM
  2. want to boot my remaster in my own language
    By remeses4 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 10:08 PM
  3. remaster boot.img
    By sl in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 04:37 PM
  4. remaster boot.img
    By sl in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 10:58 PM
  5. How to remaster 3.4 w/ no boot.img?
    By mzilikazi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 08:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU picture

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU

$1000.00



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



DELL POWEREDGE R640 8SFF 2x 8 CORE SILVER 4208 2.1GHZ 32GB RAM H740P NO HDD picture

DELL POWEREDGE R640 8SFF 2x 8 CORE SILVER 4208 2.1GHZ 32GB RAM H740P NO HDD

$565.00