-
missing user account on a knoppix file recovery attempt
Help me and I will shower you with gits...
I am trying to recover files after an unmountable boot volume crash.
I am running XP home SPII on a Toshiba Laptop.
1) I received an unmountable boot volume error.
2) I ran XP repair and it did nothing.
3) I ran check disk and fixboot, no help there. It found unreadable/un-recoverable errors.
4) I Booted from a live linux CD called Knoppix.
5) I was able to then copy some of my files from my laptop to an external USB HD.
One of my user accounts and all it's folders were not there to copy?
This user account is password protected, would this cause me not to see these files from inside knoppix? If these files are hidden how do I copy these or unhide them?
* some things of note, I can't boot from my external USB HD. I am purchasing an adapter to to view the laptop HD from the desktop. My next step is going to be to try "pci_filerecovery.exe" on the laptop HD.
Maybe the files were infected by something and they aren't hidden, but deleted? Have you ever had a user account vanish from the HD?
Thanks so much, I would be willing to pay someone for phone support if need be.
Similar Threads
-
By pipposanta in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-02-2006, 09:23 PM
-
By teddymills in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-14-2005, 03:14 PM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-17-2004, 08:15 PM
-
By KnoppixDawg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-17-2004, 08:50 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Atari 800XL Computer & 1050 Bundle w/ Games
$899.00

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on
$255.00

Atari Portfolio PARALLEL PRINTER INTERFACE NOS New Open Box
$29.88

Broken Atari 130XE Console System 130XE No Power
$129.99

Broken Indus GT Floppy Disk Drive for Atari
$129.99

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ
$270.00