-
missing user account on a knoppix file recovery attempt
Help me and I will shower you with gits...
I am trying to recover files after an unmountable boot volume crash.
I am running XP home SPII on a Toshiba Laptop.
1) I received an unmountable boot volume error.
2) I ran XP repair and it did nothing.
3) I ran check disk and fixboot, no help there. It found unreadable/un-recoverable errors.
4) I Booted from a live linux CD called Knoppix.
5) I was able to then copy some of my files from my laptop to an external USB HD.
One of my user accounts and all it's folders were not there to copy?
This user account is password protected, would this cause me not to see these files from inside knoppix? If these files are hidden how do I copy these or unhide them?
* some things of note, I can't boot from my external USB HD. I am purchasing an adapter to to view the laptop HD from the desktop. My next step is going to be to try "pci_filerecovery.exe" on the laptop HD.
Maybe the files were infected by something and they aren't hidden, but deleted? Have you ever had a user account vanish from the HD?
Thanks so much, I would be willing to pay someone for phone support if need be.
-
Junior Member
registered user
One of my user accounts and all it's folders were not there to copy?
If its not there anymore you can't see it, least copy it.
I have abandoned windows for quite sometime but this maybe of help :
I believe you have NTFS formatted HD. So, here's some suggestion:
1. copy ans save as much file you can using Knoppix, I mean important stuff, just leave out XP files.
2. Check your HD, not with scandisk, but go to HD manufacturer (for example, SEAGATE) web site and look for HD checking utility (they know more about their product than windows). Most of this util needs to boot from floppy (or you can burn the iso to cd).
3. Go to Microsoft Support
4. Reformat and reinstall XP
5. or switch to GNU/Linux
in Linux there is an application called gpart which might be useful, if the primary partition table has been lost, overwritten or destroyed as long as it still exist on HD (not sure if it's available on Knoppix CD).
You can also try SpinRite from http://www.grc.com
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think XP Home is Fat32. There shouldn't be anyaccess problems on acount of security or user accounts. You might try to locate an undelete program. They can salvage files if they haven't been overwritten. There are freeware undeletes.
Good Luck!
Dick
Similar Threads
-
By pipposanta in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-02-2006, 09:23 PM
-
By teddymills in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-14-2005, 03:14 PM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-17-2004, 08:15 PM
-
By KnoppixDawg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-17-2004, 08:50 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$163.49

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU
$45.00

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$101.99

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen
$59.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99