Hi Jorge,

Since you said you use the so-called poor-man's install,
I guess we can assume you use win9x, can't we?
If so, you could use loadlin to boot with no diskette at all.
Create a C:\Linux directory, into which you copy the whole
content of the boot floppy. Add loadlin.exe (easy to find)
Then you can use loadlin to start your kernel instead of
ldlinux. Select from syslinux.cfg the set of parameters
you need, possibly complemented with the needed lang,
keyboard, screen....values. This list of parameters is too long
for a dos command line, so we'll feed a parameter file to
loadlin: (beware: this is supposed to be *one* long line)

----------> c:\linux\loadlin.par <----------
c:\linux\vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=be vga=791
initrd=c:\linux\miniroot.gz apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi
hdd=scsi screen=1280x1024 home=scan myconfig=scan nomce
----------------------------------------

Then we can take advantage of the multi-config possibility in win9x.
with a config.sys like the following:
----------> c:\config.sys <----------
[Menu]
MenuItem=Win98, Windows 98 (second edition)
MenuItem=KNX, Knoppix 3.2 (debian based linux)
MenuItem=KNX2, Knoppix (console)
MenuDefault=Win98,5

[COMMON]
Device=C:\Win98\Himem.Sys /Testmem:Off
Device=C:\Win98\Emm386.Exe Noems
Dos=High,Umb

[KNX]
Shell=C:\linux\loadlin.exe @C:\linux\loadlin.par

[KNX2]
Shell=C:\linux\loadlin.exe @C:\linux\loadlin.par 2

[Win98]
rem your normal config.sys comes here...
--------------------

If you are afraid the mutli-config menu might confuse users,
you can still use the same principle booting off a floppy.
Since the kernel and miniroot live on the hd, they'll be read
real fast, and only the tiny loadlin.exe (32k) has to stay on the
floppy.
I am using this happily, and I only need to refresh c:\knoppix
every once in a while when I feel like checking a new release.
I don't even need to burn the CD, just extract from the iso image
to the vfat partition. I wanted to write a FAQ about this but never
got around to it. I hope this is detailed enough.