Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: [Bug ?!] Initrd and Linuxrc

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13

    [Bug ?!] Initrd and Linuxrc

    Hi!
    I have a little question about booting of knoppix...
    Well, start with theory of booting with Initrd:
    - kernel load into memory initrd image
    - decompress it
    - execute LINUXRC (yes, must be an executable or shell file called linuxrc )
    - after that or linuxrc call /sbin/init or it's called automatically, otherwise kernel panic

    Pratically
    - knoppix put in boot command line a line like init=/etc/init
    After many test that I do, I see the param init (in this case /etc/init) it's execute only if present another param like root=/dev/ram0
    I see /etc/init in INITRD of knoppix contain a small script like
    Code:
    /linuxrc
    exec /sbin/init < /dev/console > /dev/console ...
    Hi!
    I have a little question about booting of knoppix...
    Well, start with theory of booting with Initrd:
    - kernel load into memory initrd image
    - decompress it
    - execute LINUXRC (yes, must be an executable or shell file called linuxrc )
    - after that or linuxrc call /sbin/init or it's called automatically, otherwise kernel panic

    Pratically
    - knoppix put in boot command line a line like init=/etc/init
    After many test that I do, I see the param init (in this case /etc/init) it's execute only if present another param like root=/dev/ram0
    I see /etc/init in INITRD of knoppix contain a small script like
    Code:
    /linuxrc
    exec /sbin/init < /dev/console > /dev/console ...
    I think that script and relative boot parameter is useless, infact knoppix boot correctly without "init" file in /etc and without bootparam "init=/etc/init".

    But..my question is: if it's useless, why is still present?
    I'm forgot something?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13
    I read that knoppix can use INITRAMFS..But minirt.gz isn't an archive of INITRAMFS

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: [Bug ?!] Initrd and Linuxrc

    Quote Originally Posted by Frunktz
    I think that script and relative boot parameter is useless, infact knoppix boot correctly without "init" file in /etc and without bootparam "init=/etc/init".
    Confirmed. Knoppix 4.0.2 will boot just fine without the "init=..."
    But..my question is: if it's useless, why is still present?
    I'm forgot something?
    Probably a vestige. Naturally, you're free to take in out in your own remasters.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

Similar Threads

  1. Wo ist die linuxrc in Knoppix 6
    By chris32000 in forum German Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2009, 09:39 AM
  2. linuxrc: how to edit?
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 11:56 AM
  3. linuxrc changes
    By darthczyz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 01:15 PM
  4. What is this initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    By alex52 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 06:08 AM
  5. starting linuxrc and init
    By thomas in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-19-2003, 02:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99