Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Root - Avatar

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274

    Root - Avatar

    I was reading about toor, baron, and avatar the other day, when I decided to replace root with avatar. Easy process, just made avatar with the uid 0, made the home directory, and then once I could log in as him, deleted root. Everything works fine for the most part (Auke Kok - lead developer of my distro - even made a change to one of the Lunar-Linux core tools so that it would check for uid 0 instead of root), except su. I have to use su avatar, or su - avatar because su looks for root. But on BeOS and systems that don't have the superuser named root, su doesn't look for root. Is there a separate shadow code for these guys? Did developers hack it out or something? Or is there an option to be used with configure when compiling shadow? To summarize...I replaced root with avatar, and su still looks for root, how do I fix this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    I guess I would start looking in the source code for 'su'

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    That's the shadow source code, su and a few other things are built into it. But I didn't find anything that was really a red flag distinguishing root from anything else.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 03:35 PM
  2. More news: Chris-Harry's avatar found dead
    By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 02:20 PM
  3. avatar upload does not work
    By Josh83 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 10:18 AM
  4. root pwd
    By metroidprime13 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 03:13 AM
  5. Only root can log in...?
    By gnosys in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 07:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX picture

Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX

$14.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Western Digital 2TB WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 3.5

Western Digital 2TB WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 3.5" SATA Red NAS Hard Disk Drive

$69.99