-
Unable to write to /mnt/hda1
Hi !
I am new to Linux and am extremely delighted that Knoppix is avalaible to introduce newbies like us to Linux in such a user friendly way .
I have a problem however. I have a Windows XP box . I wanted to copy the SAM file from c:\windows\system32\config to my c:\ drive . As you may know that SAM file cannot be copied while Windows is running,so I booted up Knoppix from the Live CD and issued the following command at the terminal :
Code:
cp /mnt/hda1/windows/system32/config/sam /mnt/hda1
I now get the message : Unable to write to /mnt/hda1.
I also tried removing the check mark thats besides Read Only on hda1 but even that didnt help. I have noticed that I am unable to write to any of my drives while using Knoppix and get the same message.
Please help.
Thank You
-
Senior Member
registered user
Before you enable write acess, what filesystem is on the drive? If it is FAT32 then it is fine. If it is NTFS, we tell all people who intend to use Knoppix to write to a NTFS drive that Knoppix in most cases can not reliably (possibly destroy) a NTFS filesystem. Older versions of Knoppix (i think Knoppix 3.6 & 3.7) has captive NTFS, which in my opinion had a low success rate. Knoppix 4.0.2 has
- Updated NTFS read-write support using libntfs CVS version and fuse*)
(*)A free (GPL) NTFS write support is currently under development. Experimental-friendly testers may find the corresponding tools and instructions for accessing rw-mounts of NTFS-Partitions, on the DVD (use at your own risk).
You are welcome to attempt it with Knoppix 4.0.2 but there is always a risk that it will write garbled data to that drive that could possibly overwrite other good necessary data.
It might be easier to swap out the HD to another PC & copy the file. Or you could use the window CD to boot to a rescue command prompt. Then you could use the command: copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\
I hope this helps.
James
-
Thanks Underscore, 
I was able to copy the required files by booting from XP bootup disk and then going into the Recovery Console.
Thanks once again
Similar Threads
-
By kpfuser in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-24-2005, 03:31 PM
-
By dcohen in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-28-2005, 11:15 PM
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-19-2004, 04:18 PM
-
By XeoNoX in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-21-2004, 05:44 AM
-
By Spacecube in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-28-2003, 09:14 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$248.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$219.99

Brand New Sophos XGS 2300 8-Ports 1GbE Network Security / Firewall Appliance
$2999.95

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99

Netgate SG-1100 firewall
$140.00