Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: k3b not mounting CD-RW drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4

    k3b not mounting CD-RW drive

    Greetings,

    I have tried on two different machines to use k3b to burn CD-R's, and it fails. It seems that it is not able to mount the CD-RW drive. I understand I can use a root terminal session to do this:

    chmod 755 /usr/bin/cdrecord.mmap

    However, I do not know the root password, so I am not able to start a root terminal! Can anybody help me?

    [Edit: I've got it -- another thread gave me the info: on the Knoppix (penguin) menu, there is a root shell. I entered the above command there -- and k3b now works!

    This needs to be part of the Knoppix FAQ! Or, the root password needs to be made known? Obviously, that is not all that secure... ]

    Thanks,

    Neil

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    read the forums, the TOP topic in one of them is just that, what is root password.
    the general forum to be precise.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
    and top on that page is ::
    Sticky: Root Password (what is it?) below is the link
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11500

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4
    Greetings,

    Well, I guess I missed it. I did do a Search for "root AND password" and I looked at the first 6 or 8 results, but I did not see it. My bad. Obviously it is a very common question, and obviously lots of people miss the FAQ, too. I have used SuSE and Linspire, and I looked in all the places where I thought I could get to a root console, or to the root user.

    I guess I was hoping to have it as part of the introduction HTML file that pops up when you boot Knoppix; or maybe a link to the FAQ.

    Neil

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, is that all there is to using cdrecord and k3b now? I haven't been able to burn a CD since KNOPPIX 3.7, so my burner PC still has 3.7 on a hdd partition.

    If I reinstall that PC with KNOPPIX 4.0.2CD, will I be able to use cdrecord doing the above fix as root?

    TIA,
    AJG

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    BTW, the stated fix above doesn't make sense to me. chmod 755 will change the permissions on that file to -rwxr-xr-x. However, in 3.7, 3.8.1 and 4.0.2CD hdinstalled PCs the permissions are already -rwsr-xr-x. Does that "s" make a difference to the non-root user???

    TIA,
    AJG

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, apparently my problem was that I was still trying to use --scanbus and this is no longer necessary. I guess I got confused with the errors cdrecord returned about poor compatibility with kernel 2.6!

    In older versions of KNOPPIX, I used to issue the command line:
    Code:
    cdrecord -v speed=16 dev=0,0,0 *.iso
    after --scanbus read my burner as dev 0,0,0.

    Now, with KNOPPIX 4.0.2CD knoppix-installered on a hdd partition, all I need is:
    Code:
    cdrecord -v speed=16 dev=/dev/cdrom *.iso
    since /etc/fstab lists my burner as /dev/cdrom.

    Regards,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. Not mounting Hard drive
    By savagemania in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 04:23 AM
  2. mounting a usb thumb drive
    By nlehrer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2006, 08:22 PM
  3. Mounting DVR as a firewire drive
    By MaldiGola in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 09:34 PM
  4. drive mounting
    By Phishman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 04:09 AM
  5. automatic drive mounting??
    By VeeDubb in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 07:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Cisco CP-8821-K9 V10 Rugged Wireless IP VoIP Phone No Battery Factory Reset picture

Cisco CP-8821-K9 V10 Rugged Wireless IP VoIP Phone No Battery Factory Reset

$149.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Yealink SIP-T46S IP Phone - Black picture

Yealink SIP-T46S IP Phone - Black

$20.00



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99