Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: cdecord and kernel 2.6?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    cdecord and kernel 2.6?

    What's going on with cdrecord. I have to leave the PCs that I use to burn CDs in KNOPPIX 3.7 as ever since kernel 2.6 arrived, I can't use cdrecord. cdrecord --scanbus won't work, even as root. cdrecord won't work even as root. I used to be able to issue the command line:

    Code:
    cdrecord speed=16 dev=0,0,0 *.iso
    but I get a "device 0,0,0 cannot be found" or some such error! And without scanbus, I can 't even find the dev....

    Am I missing something here? I'd really like to upgrade those PCs using the KNOPPIX 4.0.2CD but how do I burn CDs without cdrecord (or K3B for that mater). Can I get cdrecord working under KNOPPIX 4.0.2 as a hdinstalled box (dual boot) running Kernel 2.6 or is there someother way around this?

    Please help! I am flumoxed!!

    Thanx in advance,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    I've never had to use the bus, et al for the device. cdrecord dev=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 always works fine for me with Lunar-Linux.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i can use /dev/hdc just fine to burn CD's and DVD's, try it, as 2.6 kernels and newer cdrecord support it quite well without scsiemulation even.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, I can't believe I've been stuck on using --scanbus all this time. When I first started using KNOPPIX, cdrecord would not work without that.

    Now all I had to do was look-up /etc/fstab to see which dev to mount for the cdrom and I'm all set:

    Code:
    cdrecord -v speed=16 dev=/dev/cdrom *.iso
    Thanx for all the help!

    Regards,
    AJG

    PS: Now, what if I want to mount a burnt cd for audio or to read data? How do I go about this, I always have problems with CDs ever since 3.7....

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    a simple
    mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    should work in 90% of cases

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, that's what I thought. I haven't done this in a long time, but the last time I did I couldn't get my audio app to work with that mount point (xmms) and I couldn't manipulate data files (knoqueror).

    Let me try again....

    Thanx,
    AJG

    EDIT: OK, with 4.0.2CD hdinstalled I was able to burn CDs with cdrecord and read a mounted data cd with konqueror. I don't have an audio cd handy right now, I'll try that at home (in the office now). Thanx!

    My problem is that in older versions of KNOPPIX, the user couldn't mount these drives, only root could. So I didn't know how to mount the cdrom drive for reading data or playing music. I'm root on all my boxes, but my users I thought would be at a loss. Now, I remember that users were allowed to mount /dev/fd0 somehow, so I thought there was some complicated procedure for cdroms. Apparently, these devices are automatically mounted in fstab during boot up now. Silly me....

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, I reinstalled all my boxes with KNOPPIX 4.0.2CD using knoppix-installer to a hdd partition (dual boots don't ya know).

    As a user, I was able to auto mount /mnt/floppy and /mnt/cdrom. And I was able to burn CDs. I tried to mount a data CD, I didn't try to mount a music CD or a CD-G but it should be the same, no?

    That was yesterday, now I tried to auto mount a CD and I get an error:

    file:///mnt/cdrom does not seem to exist anymore

    I got a similar error yesterday while trying to switch floppies, but somehow I got that error to go away. I can't seem to get this CD error to go away though.

    Am I missing something basic here? Please help an old linux fossil, I'm not used to all this new fangled auto mount stuff! I'm used to the old fashioned root mount. In fact, until recently, I had several boxes hdinstalled with KNOPPIX 3.3, 3.4, 3.6 and 3.7 just so I could things the old way. Now I reinstalled everything - am I screwed?

    TIA,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble with knoppix-kernel.patch <-> any Kernel
    By -Hawkeye- in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 11:50 AM
  2. How do I install kernel source and config/compile kernel??
    By cfish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
  3. Errors and kernel panic during boot (2.6 Kernel)
    By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
  4. Kernel Source 2.4.23-xfs and Kernel install for wlan-ng
    By Nils_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:50 AM
  5. Modified kernel results in Kernel Panic - No init found.
    By tji in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



128gb DDR4 Ram Hpyerx HX430C15PB3K8/128 16x8 3000 MHZ CL15 Tested Read DESC picture

128gb DDR4 Ram Hpyerx HX430C15PB3K8/128 16x8 3000 MHZ CL15 Tested Read DESC

$300.00



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CMK32GX4M2E3200C16

$160.00



16GB (16GBx1) Kingston Fury DDR4-3466MHz 995743-042.A00G XMP4 RAM DIMM - Tested picture

16GB (16GBx1) Kingston Fury DDR4-3466MHz 995743-042.A00G XMP4 RAM DIMM - Tested

$68.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



16GB (2x8GB) Samsung DDR4-2133MHz M391A1G43EB1-CPBQ ECC UDIMM RAM Read picture

16GB (2x8GB) Samsung DDR4-2133MHz M391A1G43EB1-CPBQ ECC UDIMM RAM Read

$84.99



Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Laptop Memory Model: CT16G4SFRA32A.FF1 picture

Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Laptop Memory Model: CT16G4SFRA32A.FF1

$85.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



Apple Memory Module 16GB DDR4 2400MHz SO-DIMM (2x8GB) picture

Apple Memory Module 16GB DDR4 2400MHz SO-DIMM (2x8GB)

$130.72