Hopefully I'm not flamed for this question but I've searched the forums and read the stickies.
How can I force my HDs to spindown when unmounted?
Live CD 4.0.2.
The buggers get hot.
Hopefully I'm not flamed for this question but I've searched the forums and read the stickies.
How can I force my HDs to spindown when unmounted?
Live CD 4.0.2.
The buggers get hot.
use the comand hdparm and the flag -Sn (capital S, not s) where n is a set value as in the qoute below from man hdparm.
-S Set the standby (spindown) timeout for the drive.
This value is used by the drive to determine how long to wait (with no disk activity) before turning off the spindle motor to save power.
Under such circumstances, the drive may take as long as 30 seconds to respond to a subsequent disk access, though most drives are much quicker.
The encoding of the timeout value is somewhat peculiar.
A value of zero (0) means "timeouts are disabled": the device will not automatically enter standby mode.
Values from 1 to 240 specify multiples of 5 seconds, yielding timeouts from 5 seconds to 20 minutes.
Values from 241 to 251 specify from 1 to 11 units of 30 minutes, yielding timeouts from 30 minutes to 5.5 hours.
A value of 252 signifies a timeout of 21 minutes.
A value of 253 sets a vendor-defined timeout period between 8 and 12 hours, and the value 254 is reserved.
255 is interpreted as 21 minutes plus 15 seconds. Note that some older drives may have very different interpretations of these values.will set the disks timeout at 5 secondsCode:hdparm -S1 /dev/whatever
Thank you very much kind sir.
Worked like a charm.
Mebe now I won't have to reboot every 3 days...

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic
$24.95
LOT OF 8 Samsung 32gb 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA RE3 12 DC1 Server Memory M393A4G43AB3
$1849.95
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00
RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99
RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99
Samsung Galaxy Tab S10+ 12.4" 256GB 12GB Gray Wi-Fi AMOLED Android
$580.00
Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00