-
Junior Member
registered user
Wireless Woes...
I am new to Knoppix (not Linux) and I have a question.
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a Broadcom BCMWL5 Device on board. It is also known as a Dell 1470 Dual Band Wireless Mini PCI Card. Now, I know what driver is supposed to be installed via ndiswrapper, but I can't get the machine to see the hardware.
The message I get is this:
BCMWL5 Driver Present.
It should say this:
BCMWL5 Driver Present, Hardware Present.
Why won't the OS see my hardware? When I run the program lspci, it shows an unknown network controller. So I know the machine knows that at least something is there. What am I doing wrong? Please help. I wanted Knoppix to be a great alternative and without the wireless ability, it is not really worth having on the lap top.
Thanks for all of your help in advance.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Oh, and by the way, I know other people have gotten this hardware to work, I just don't understand why I can't. Thanks again!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Broadcom does not support Linux at all. They give out no documentation of their chips & products and this results in no Linux drivers for broadcom wireless devices. This means that we must use a driver wrapper called ndiswrapper. It is a translator driver that makes a network card driver for MS Windows work on Linux.
Normally the progression of how drivers work looks like:
Linux kernel -> Linux network driver -> network card
With Ndiswrapper, it looks like:
Linux kenerl -> ndiswrapper -> Windows network driver -> network card
So now you see that it requires not 1 but 2 pieces, the ndiswrapper & the windows driver. Well, Knoppix versions from 3.8.x to currently 4.0.2 include ndiswrapper so this piece is already done for you. There is no need to download & compile/install it. So now all that is left is to get the windows driver piece to work. You can follow the generic ndsiwrapper installation instructions at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...Windows_driver and you can find Network card info listed alphabetically by manufacturer at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...dex.php/List#L
-
Junior Member
registered user
I have done the NDISwrapper Install already. I know how to install the driver and I believe that I am installing the correct driver. I do not understand why the hardware iteself is not being recognized by the kernel. This is after driver installation. Please help. After driver installation, with ndiswrapper, I am not able configure the hardware, or bring up wlan0.
Thanks!
-
Junior Member
registered user
Actually, even after driver installation and use of ndiswapper, it still does not recognize the hardware.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Turned out I was using the wrong driver. I got online and now have a little shell script that gets the wireless card up and running.
Here is my question. I would like this silly little shell script to run automatically at boot. Can this be done and where would I put it and what should it be named?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Try checking out the cheat codes wiki, I thought that I saw something about getting scripts to run at boot.
Similar Threads
-
By aftrshock in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-27-2007, 03:33 AM
-
By marinebro0306 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-03-2006, 10:50 AM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-31-2005, 03:03 PM
-
By Shadda in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-12-2005, 04:45 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-22-2003, 01:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4
$79.99

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00

Asus ROG Strix B460-H LGA 1200 ATX Intel 10th Gen DDR4 Motherboard
$84.99