Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Wireless Woes...

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    10

    Wireless Woes...

    I am new to Knoppix (not Linux) and I have a question.

    I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a Broadcom BCMWL5 Device on board. It is also known as a Dell 1470 Dual Band Wireless Mini PCI Card. Now, I know what driver is supposed to be installed via ndiswrapper, but I can't get the machine to see the hardware.

    The message I get is this:

    BCMWL5 Driver Present.

    It should say this:

    BCMWL5 Driver Present, Hardware Present.

    Why won't the OS see my hardware? When I run the program lspci, it shows an unknown network controller. So I know the machine knows that at least something is there. What am I doing wrong? Please help. I wanted Knoppix to be a great alternative and without the wireless ability, it is not really worth having on the lap top.

    Thanks for all of your help in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    10
    Oh, and by the way, I know other people have gotten this hardware to work, I just don't understand why I can't. Thanks again!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Broadcom does not support Linux at all. They give out no documentation of their chips & products and this results in no Linux drivers for broadcom wireless devices. This means that we must use a driver wrapper called ndiswrapper. It is a translator driver that makes a network card driver for MS Windows work on Linux.

    Normally the progression of how drivers work looks like:
    Linux kernel -> Linux network driver -> network card

    With Ndiswrapper, it looks like:
    Linux kenerl -> ndiswrapper -> Windows network driver -> network card

    So now you see that it requires not 1 but 2 pieces, the ndiswrapper & the windows driver. Well, Knoppix versions from 3.8.x to currently 4.0.2 include ndiswrapper so this piece is already done for you. There is no need to download & compile/install it. So now all that is left is to get the windows driver piece to work. You can follow the generic ndsiwrapper installation instructions at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...Windows_driver and you can find Network card info listed alphabetically by manufacturer at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...dex.php/List#L

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    10
    I have done the NDISwrapper Install already. I know how to install the driver and I believe that I am installing the correct driver. I do not understand why the hardware iteself is not being recognized by the kernel. This is after driver installation. Please help. After driver installation, with ndiswrapper, I am not able configure the hardware, or bring up wlan0.

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    10
    Actually, even after driver installation and use of ndiswapper, it still does not recognize the hardware.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    10
    Turned out I was using the wrong driver. I got online and now have a little shell script that gets the wireless card up and running.

    Here is my question. I would like this silly little shell script to run automatically at boot. Can this be done and where would I put it and what should it be named?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    Try checking out the cheat codes wiki, I thought that I saw something about getting scripts to run at boot.

Similar Threads

  1. wireless woes
    By aftrshock in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 03:33 AM
  2. Wireless woes
    By marinebro0306 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2006, 10:50 AM
  3. Woes Using CDs
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-31-2005, 03:03 PM
  4. Apt-get woes
    By Shadda in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 04:45 PM
  5. ssh woes!!!
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-22-2003, 01:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit picture

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit

$199.97



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$59.99



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75