Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Sound problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    23

    Sound problems

    First of all, I'm sorry for my English, I'm from Austria.
    It's a long story, but I hope you will understand my problem.

    I've wanted to run TeamSpeak on my Knoppix, but when I connect to the server, my headset & microphone is muted and I can't turn them on.
    It seems they are disabled for the program.
    So I thought it has to do with the sound card and maybe with the control center (Sound System).
    I've tested the sound configuration tool in the 'Knoppix' menu item. It doesn't work, because of this error:
    You don't seem to be running a kernel with modular sound enabled.(soundcore.o was not found in the module search path). To use sndconfig, you must be running a kernel with modular sound, such as the kernel shipped with Debian GNU/Linux or a 2.2 kernel, and sound must be compiled as modules.
    I've also tried to turn the Sound System on, but when I do that, this message appears:
    Sound server informational message:

    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
    Then I've searched in this forum for the problem and I found a thread dealing with turning the soundsystem on.

    Someone has written following:
    First, boot 'knoppix alsa' to make sure you are using alsa and not oss.
    These are the sound modules in the kernel, oss is obsolete.
    If you are installed to HD, edit the 'append=' line in /etc/lilo.conf adding 'alsa' to the list then re run lilo.

    Then, try the sound configuration tool in the 'Knoppix' menu item.

    Make sure your Kmix volume settings are turned up, you need at least master and PCM turned up.

    Go to KDE control center -> sound system & enable the sound system.

    Go to KDE control center -> system notifications & turn on all event sounds.

    Then you have to edit the hidden file /home/(username)/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc & change all three settings to 'true'.

    Code:
    Code:
    [Misc]
     LastConfiguredApp=The KDE Window Manager
     
     [StartProgress]
     Arts Init=true
     KNotify Init=true
     Use Arts=true

    It is a hidden file, to find it set konqueror to view hidden files then edit it with Kate or Kwrite.

    Why kde doesn't do this automatically when enabling system sounds is a mystery to me but it doesn't.

    You should now have system beeps & whistles.
    The first thing worked. After that I edited the "lilo.conf".
    But when I try to run "lilo", this comes out:
    /proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
    /proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
    Incompatible libdevmapper 1.01.03 (2005-06-13)(compat) and kernel driver
    Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
    Name change: '/dev/cloop0' -> '/dev/cloop'
    Fatal: Trying to map files from unnamed device 0x000e (NFS/RAID mirror down ?)
    Please help me T_T

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    23
    One thing i wanted to mention is that I can hear mp3s on Knoppix, I also hear the sound when I'm watching a video or I'm playing Enemy Territory.
    Strange thing oO

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    23
    Ok, so nobody knows the answer or you're not interested helping me, you could say me at least an answer if I'm doing the right thing or did I forget something?

    By the way: Is this more hardware or more software problem?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1

    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?

    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?

    The entire sequence you cite has appeared as messages during the progress thru knoppix-installer 0.3-14 of putting
    live- knoppix 4.0.2 DVD onto a hard drive partition. It is preceded by a reference to the alsa, which in a prior install
    of the [extremely similar] live- knoppix 4.0.1 DVD to a hard drive partition always gave upon shutdown an error
    message in red from alsa saying that no sound card was found. There the sound did work -- except as you noted,
    in some apps. It worked, for example, in the snack sound toolkit and for the most part in Kaffeine but that is a
    meta-interface so it's hard to tell which things it really worked in and which not.

    Here are my messages (minus some irrelevants at the top).

    /usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1163: No soundcards found...
    Execution of /usr/share/menu/cdd-menu generated no output or returned an error.
    /proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
    /proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
    Incompatible libdevmapper 1.01.00-ioctl (2005-01-17)(compat) and kernel driver
    Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
    Name change: '/dev/cloop0' -> '/dev/cloop'
    Warning: Partition 1 on /dev/hda is not marked Active.
    Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
    Fatal: open /usr/share/lilo/contrib/debian.bmp: No such file or directory

    I believe these appeared in 4.0.1 as well. In both cases the live-DVD and live-CD voice is heard during change
    from text level 2 to windows level 5 with KDE, saying that [XWindows] is being brought up, showing that sound does work right off the bat. These indicate that [OSS] is working.

    Maybe your app only tries to use something other than the sound codecs of OSS?
    Maybe OSS and alsa are sometimes tangled?

    In order to test sound in the new install, I have to sign off now (!).

Similar Threads

  1. nVidia Sound Problems
    By Havingadump in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2006, 04:51 PM
  2. APM and Sound-Problems
    By killozap in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2005, 05:30 PM
  3. Sound Card Problems
    By vip3r in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 06:15 PM
  4. sound problems
    By mike_the_bike in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 03:04 PM
  5. Sound problems
    By Jez in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 01:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book picture

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book

$37.49



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99