Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: MOUNT /USR

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122

    MOUNT /USR

    I am trying to mount my /usr directory in order to be able to install programs for knoppix persistenly, after I have rebooted the machine, but whenever I go to mount the drive : knoppix@1[/]$ mount /usr /mnt/uba1 I get an error:
    mount: only root can do that
    The error appears even when I am in the root directory, is there something I am missing, what do I need to do in order to be able to mount correclty here?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: MOUNT /USR

    omgwtfbbq...

    --You need to BE root to do that...

    --Root logins are available at Ctrl-Alt-F1 thru -F4, or prefix the command with ' sudo '

    Quote Originally Posted by dvryknopper
    I am trying to mount my /usr directory in order to be able to install programs for knoppix persistenly, after I have rebooted the machine, but whenever I go to mount the drive : knoppix@1[/]$ mount /usr /mnt/uba1 I get an error:
    mount: only root can do that
    The error appears even when I am in the root directory, is there something I am missing, what do I need to do in order to be able to mount correclty here?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122

    sudo problem

    Well, I tried using the sudo prefix to mount the /usr directory to the drive, but I still got an error, I realize that this is probably because I am not typing the command correctly, or I am not using the correct file paths, here is what I typed, if anyone could offer any ideas as to why the sudo prefix didn't work to solve the problem please post it here

    Code:
    sudo mount /usr /mnt/uba1
    mount: /usr is not a block device
    
    sudo mount /usr /dev/uba1
    mount: /usr is not a block device
    also, what exactly is meant my "not a block device"

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    You've got the parameters wrong: mount <device> <mountpoint>, not the other way around.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    Thankyou for correcting my syntax error, I got the folder to be mounted to the uba1, but now I ge the following error whenever I try to access the desktop or edit files on the desktop:

    Service
    '/UNIONFS/usr/share/applications/kde/kwrite.desktop' is
    malformatted.


    Does the above error mean that I need to reformat the drive in some special way before mounting /usr to the uba1 without causing errors?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    Oh yeah, if this helps anybody out in responding to my last post, I am using knoppix 3.8 and I am mounting the /usr directory to a fat32 formatted 64mb usb thumdrive

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    135

    MOUNT /USR

    First let's understand that you are mounting your usb drive (/dev/uba1) at /usr. It is important to realize that /usr is just a directory and that you have chosen to ignore what is already there and use the namespace as a mount point for your external drive. In other words, you are not mounting the /usr directory, you are mounting your thumbdrive at /usr. This should clear up some confusion here.

    Having said that, anything previously in the /usr directory will now be ignored. The _malformatted_ message you are receiving references the .desktop file, not your filesystem. There is much in the /usr directory that knoppix expects to find there. Find another mount point.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    So, if I had an image file of the /usr directory, or a copy of the file present of the /usr directory of the cd, then mounting it would work properly then correct? And thank you for the reminder about mount points, I took a unix class about a year and a half ago, but have forgotten alot

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    135

    MOUNT /USR

    Per my previous post, forget the /usr directory _find another mount point_. This could be done, however, you would be remastering the knoppix system on the fly and this distro was never meant to be manipulated this way.

    You seem to wish a persistent /home/user directory which see hundreds of posts here for assistance.

    You can certainly put executables in your home directory as long as any required libraries are present in your system and the application knows where to find them.

Similar Threads

  1. nfs mount: mount: RPC: Program not registered
    By markpelletier in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
  2. How To Mount
    By Wassim in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 03:59 PM
  3. Can't Mount USB hdd
    By nemof in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 02:37 PM
  4. mount-aes ???
    By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2003, 09:13 PM
  5. Can't mount over nfs
    By beaky in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2003, 01:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Catalyst 9200 24 Series 24-Port Ethernet Network Switch C9200-24T-E V07 picture

Cisco Catalyst 9200 24 Series 24-Port Ethernet Network Switch C9200-24T-E V07

$400.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New

$399.99



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available

$97.49



Cisco C9300-NM-2Y - Cisco Catalyst 9300 2 x 25G Network Module New picture

Cisco C9300-NM-2Y - Cisco Catalyst 9300 2 x 25G Network Module New

$900.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$689.00



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00