Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: cannot determine filesystem type

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1

    cannot determine filesystem type

    I was wondering if someone could help me with my dillema. I have a Linkstation HD-H160LAN which recently died on me. Once the system is turned on, it goes into EM mode and flashed 6 times which indicated HD or Hardware problem. I read some forums and spoke to Buffalotech that it is possible to recover my files with Knoppix. I was able to run the Knoppix Version 4.0.2 without any troubles but I am unable to mount the HD. (I was able to open the LS and removed the HD and is connected to my desktop running Knoppix). The reply I get whenever I try to mount the HD is:

    mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified

    I could use as much assistance that I can get since Buffalotech, tho is willing to replace my Linkstation, does not guarantee that I'll be able to regain my files. I am trying to get my files out first before sending the system to them.

    FYI I tried installing the same HD on another Linkstation but got the same results, tho when it runs its own HD, it is fine. Please help me regain my files back.

    Flipster

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    What happens if you take a known to work drive out of a linkstation and try it with knoppix? If it can be seen/mounted then my guess is the drive in question is damaged to the point where only a special shop could recover data. Testing a similar drive first might save you a lot of aggravation.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    135

    cannot determine filesystem type

    Good reply above.

    In addition, once you have powered on your diagnostic machine, use its bios editor to see if the drive is even recognized. If not, you likley have a bios configuration, cabling, jumper or other hardware problem. If it is recognized, use your system logs to find any information. The command: " dmesg | grep -i hd " in a terminal window will spew out much startup info concerning your connected PATA drives.

    Post back with any output. This is only the very begining of a data recovery.

Similar Threads

  1. How do I determine the version of Xfree86 that is in use ?
    By windozeescapee in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 11:01 PM
  2. FileSystem type for SCO 5.0.6
    By highanddry in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 04:59 AM
  3. Cannot determine filesystem type when trying to recover data
    By AlanDavidson in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 12:55 AM
  4. Knoppix can't read the hard disk filesystem type?
    By GuessWho in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 05:08 PM
  5. Determine running Knoppix version
    By Terra in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 10:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer picture

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer

$649.95



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$109.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19

Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19" High Resolution Monochrome CRT Monitor TESTED

$399.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99