-
boots with nohwsetup, hangs with nousb no[everything]
Hi,
I'd really need to know what the difference is, between :
knoppix noapic noagp noapm nodma nomce nofirewire nopcmcia noscsi noswap nousb nosmp noaudio nofstab acpi=off
and :
knoppix nohwsetup OR knoppix -b
because the second ones do boot, whereas the first desperately hangs, printing some seemingly irrelevant details :
MODPROBE: MODPROBE : CAN'T LOCATE MODULE CHAR-MAJOR-4
MODPROBE: MODPROBE : CAN'T LOCATE MODULE CHAR-MAJOR-4(has to do with virtual consoles)
MODPROBE: MODPROBE : CAN'T LOCATE MODULE BLOCK-MAJOR-2
MODPROBE: MODPROBE : CAN'T LOCATE MODULE BLOCK-MAJOR-2(has to do with floppy, and I have none).
Here are some details :
1- I've been trying to fix a G4 Titanium that cannot boot OS 9.1 (the only hard-drive installed os) any more [problem was : it managed to go through several starting screen, performed some successful checks and verifications for brutal poweroff, but froze at the last one (starting OS 9.1) ; I tried both starting with no extensions and zapping the pram, to no avail)
2- Tried starting in firewire target mode ; I get the firewire icon on the screen but the G4 is undetectable on the other computer I connect it to.
3- Tried various liveCD :
-knx (linuxtag ppc port of knoppix) freezes after "autoconfiguring devices", printing two seemingly irrelevant errors :
MODPROBE: MODPROBE : CAN'T LOCATE MODULE CHAR-MAJOR-4
MODPROBE: MODPROBE : CAN'T LOCATE MODULE CHAR-MAJOR-4(has to do with virtual consoles)
MODPROBE: MODPROBE : CAN'T LOCATE MODULE BLOCK-MAJOR-2
MODPROBE: MODPROBE : CAN'T LOCATE MODULE BLOCK-MAJOR-2(has to do with floppy, and I have none).
Putting all those cheatcodes together : noapic noagp noapm nodma nomce nofirewire nopcmcia noscsi noswap nousb nosmp noaudio acpi=off nofstab
I still get the error.
But if I start with : nohwsetup, or -b, it boots successfully. But I get again a freeze of the system and the two modprobe errors if I try to run kudzu once the system has booted.
-Knoppix MiB freezes after "USB found, managed by hotplug". No cheatcode will get it to boot successfully.
-Gentoo freezes after a line that states approximately "coldplugging firewire" (and no ok appears)
But booting is successful with : nodetect
-Ubuntu freezes after this line :
ohci 1394 : "Unexpected PCI resource length of 1000!". No cheatcode works.
So if someone has any idea what's wrong with my computer... I think it's something with firewire or PCI management, but I don't know much about hardware. I hope the answer might lie in the difference between booting nohwsetup and booting no[everything]...
Thanks very much for any help.
Similar Threads
-
By rpeck in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-18-2005, 03:37 AM
-
By ipfreak in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-26-2004, 07:42 PM
-
By dreambrother in forum Laptops
Replies: 12
Last Post: 05-15-2004, 07:58 AM
-
By xeerex in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-10-2004, 06:34 PM
-
By niphin in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 02:15 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$680.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key
$829.99

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00