-
Junior Member
registered user
Trouble after updating...
After a long session in Knoppix (installed on hard drive). I shut down then came back to the box to start. Everything was going fine until the beginning script stopped at a logon prompt before the GUI came up. I am new at Linnux but I am trying to learn as much as possible. I have not had any problems for a couple of weeks. I was doing an apt-get upgrade in this session, though I've done them before with no problems. Just before the logon prompt the text was;
Starting K Display Manager: KDM
Not starting X display manager (XDM); It is not the default display manager
Debian GNU/Linux Testing ?unstable Newbox tty1
"Newbox being the name of the computer"
Can anyone please help? Are there some commands or actions I can do at the shell prompt to restore the GUI?
Thank you in advance,
Chip
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hi,
try to login as root then at the promt type: startx
take note of any error or check your log: /var/log/xfree86.0.log or /var/log/kdm.log
usually there is a messed up symlink somewhere.
if you get an error X is not executable or xinit:no such file or directory use midnight commander
type mc
navigate to /etc/x11
locate the symbol @X and check its symlink - it should point to /usr/bin/X11/X
in most cases it is set to /usr/bin/x11/xfree86
if /usr/bin/x11/x does not work, try /usr/bin/x11/xorg
note: you must be login as root to change this
-
Junior Member
registered user
Solved...
It was my x-server. I was able to do an apt-get install. It rebuilt X and allowed me to reboot to the GUI.
Similar Threads
-
By AJones in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
-
By mark.johnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 06-10-2005, 03:09 AM
-
By alphager in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-19-2005, 06:25 AM
-
By dave52355 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-17-2003, 06:43 PM
-
By emanuelez in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-31-2003, 09:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72