Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: CD ROM detection problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2

    CD ROM detection problem

    Hi Guys,I inserted a Knoppix CD(from one Magazine) into CD ROM drive,it worked smooth for sometime then my PC got hanged so I tried to eject CD,but it didn't come.Then I restarted my PC,but now if I insert any CD including knoppix, and click on explore,PC gives the message"Please insert CD into D:" I tried shutting down the PC, but same problem.Do I have to change some BIOS setting?What is the solution? or procedure for overcoming this problem? I am new to this,Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    My PC configuration[Compaq 3350,Processor-AMD,Windows XP]
    Thanks
    Prasanna

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Try resetting your CMOS.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: CD ROM detection problem

    Quote Originally Posted by diwadkar
    Hi Guys,I inserted a Knoppix CD(from one Magazine) into CD ROM drive,it worked smooth for sometime then my PC got hanged so I tried to eject CD,but it didn't come.Then I restarted my PC,but now if I insert any CD including knoppix, and click on explore,PC gives the message"Please insert CD into D:" I tried shutting down the PC, but same problem.
    Have you tried unplugging the PC for a minute or so? Some Dell computers have a bug so it won't even boot after you shutdown from Linux. Might be that your CD-ROM drive has the same problem.

    Resetting the CMOS resets your BIOS settings, you should know what settings to put back in. So I would only do that as a last resort. (not that my new PC leaves me any choise, it resets itself every other day or something, PC service point says they rebooted the PC several times and couldn't reproducer the error )

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: CD ROM detection problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Henk Poley
    Resetting the CMOS resets your BIOS settings, you should know what settings to put back in.
    It only resets them to DEFAULT.

    So I would only do that as a last resort. (not that my new PC leaves me any choise, it resets itself every other day or something,
    What??

    PC service point says they rebooted the PC several times and couldn't reproducer the error )
    Who is this "PC service" company anyway? Obviously that shouldn't be happening.

    Oh and as far as unplugging a system goes - I'm not certain it's really a bug necessarily (maybe tho) but I've had machines that needed to be reset by unplugging that were not Dell.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2
    I tried resetting BIOS setting, but doesn't work.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 06:13 PM
  2. AOC monitor detection and sound card problem - fixed
    By JohninPH in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 06:25 PM
  3. Problem in Knoppix BTTV detection routine
    By stonent in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 09:43 PM
  4. Hardware Detection
    By staverts in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 06:48 AM
  5. Wireless Detection...DI-614+
    By -=NTL=- in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 06:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600

$239.99



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99