Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How is /etc/fstab created?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    How is /etc/fstab created?

    I would like to change hard disk lines from /mnt /to /media as in Kanotix.

    I have changed every /mnt in knoppix-autoconfig to media but still every hard disk line is under /mnt (cdroms and floppies are under /media and are OK).

    These hard disk lines in /etc/fstab begins as
    # Added by Knoppix

    Where can I change them? These are not in minirt.gz or in knoppix-autoconfig - where can I find them?


    -tapsa-

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    87
    The script you are after is scanparitions located in /usr/sbin, it is called by rebuildfstab (/usr/sbin) which is called from knoppix-autoconfig.

    Line 45 of scanpartitions reads:
    Code:
    mountpoint="/mnt/${p##*/}"
    Modding to:
    Code:
    mountpoint="/media/${p##*/}"
    Should be a good start.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Thank you, that was it! Now my partitions are under /media as intended (just made a new DVD).

    The reason for me to change hard disk partitions under /media was because of opening Konqueror and media:/ shows my hard disk partitions, DVD and floppy.

    The best solution would be using /mnt for temporary mounting and /media for removable media as explained in FHS


    -tapsa-

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    Thank you, that was it! Now my partitions are under /media as intended (just made a new DVD).

    The reason for me to change hard disk partitions under /media was because of opening Konqueror and media:/ shows my hard disk partitions, DVD and floppy.

    The best solution would be using /mnt for temporary mounting and /media for removable media as explained in FHS


    -tapsa-
    Interesting document, I have seen various derivatives of the same concept, I would like to know what distributions are in fact "FHS" compliant and if not what unified standard, if any, do the follow.

    Also I wouldn't really consider my harddisk (removable media), but then again, each to their own.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by firnsy
    Interesting document, I have seen various derivatives of the same concept, I would like to know what distributions are in fact "FHS" compliant and if not what unified standard, if any, do the follow.

    Also I wouldn't really consider my harddisk (removable media), but then again, each to their own.
    Well, the Linux version of Filesystem Hierarchy Standard is FSSTND and it is FHS compiant The sad thing is, that no main distro isn't

    I wondered why Kanotix changed mount point for hard disk partitions from /mnt under /media. Perhaps it was because Konqueror shows them under media:/.

    I would prefer mounting hard disk partitions (temporary mounting) under /mnt and mounting cdrecorder, DVD, floppy, usb stick etc. under /media but I don't know how to do that in Knoppix based live DVD.


    -tapsa-

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    87
    Thanks for the link, I've now bookmarked it and am converting my remaster to it, as close as possible anyway.

Similar Threads

  1. Already created USB drive of Knoppix, but ...
    By kiddokit in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 06:52 PM
  2. Created CD image, now what?
    By tmedina in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-20-2005, 05:39 AM
  3. Problem when moving New Fstab to the Old Fstab to fix Suse
    By cheetahman in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
  4. Hard disk icons not created on desktop nor fstab
    By ottod in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 02:04 AM
  5. How do dirs under /mnt get created?
    By lgriske in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 07:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Western Digital Red WD60EFRX-68MYMN1 6 TB,Internal,5400 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive picture

Western Digital Red WD60EFRX-68MYMN1 6 TB,Internal,5400 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive

$179.99