-
Senior Member
registered user
How is /etc/fstab created?
I would like to change hard disk lines from /mnt /to /media as in Kanotix.
I have changed every /mnt in knoppix-autoconfig to media but still every hard disk line is under /mnt (cdroms and floppies are under /media and are OK).
These hard disk lines in /etc/fstab begins as
# Added by Knoppix
Where can I change them? These are not in minirt.gz or in knoppix-autoconfig - where can I find them?
-tapsa-
-
The script you are after is scanparitions located in /usr/sbin, it is called by rebuildfstab (/usr/sbin) which is called from knoppix-autoconfig.
Line 45 of scanpartitions reads:
Code:
mountpoint="/mnt/${p##*/}"
Modding to:
Code:
mountpoint="/media/${p##*/}"
Should be a good start.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thank you, that was it! Now my partitions are under /media as intended (just made a new DVD).
The reason for me to change hard disk partitions under /media was because of opening Konqueror and media:/ shows my hard disk partitions, DVD and floppy.
The best solution would be using /mnt for temporary mounting and /media for removable media as explained in FHS
-tapsa-
-

Originally Posted by
tr
Thank you, that was it! Now my partitions are under /media as intended (just made a new DVD).
The reason for me to change hard disk partitions under /media was because of opening Konqueror and media:/ shows my hard disk partitions, DVD and floppy.
The best solution would be using /mnt for temporary mounting and /media for removable media as explained in
FHS
-tapsa-
Interesting document, I have seen various derivatives of the same concept, I would like to know what distributions are in fact "FHS" compliant and if not what unified standard, if any, do the follow.
Also I wouldn't really consider my harddisk (removable media), but then again, each to their own.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
firnsy
Interesting document, I have seen various derivatives of the same concept, I would like to know what distributions are in fact "FHS" compliant and if not what unified standard, if any, do the follow.
Also I wouldn't really consider my harddisk (removable media), but then again, each to their own.
Well, the Linux version of Filesystem Hierarchy Standard is FSSTND and it is FHS compiant
The sad thing is, that no main distro isn't 
I wondered why Kanotix changed mount point for hard disk partitions from /mnt under /media. Perhaps it was because Konqueror shows them under media:/.
I would prefer mounting hard disk partitions (temporary mounting) under /mnt and mounting cdrecorder, DVD, floppy, usb stick etc. under /media but I don't know how to do that in Knoppix based live DVD.
-tapsa-
-
Thanks for the link, I've now bookmarked it and am converting my remaster to it, as close as possible anyway.
Similar Threads
-
By kiddokit in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-16-2008, 06:52 PM
-
By tmedina in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-20-2005, 05:39 AM
-
By cheetahman in forum General Support
Replies: 19
Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
-
By ottod in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-23-2003, 02:04 AM
-
By lgriske in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-23-2003, 07:14 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$59.99

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99