-
Own 2 computers, can only boot from 1
I own two computers; a pent 200 mmx with 64 meg of ram, and a pent 2 with 320meg of ram. Both have cd rom drives. With the lack of sufficient ram to properly boot Knoppix on the 200 mmx I did a swapfile to dos, in which I was able to run Knoppix 4 and to check it out. It is a bit slow, however, I can navigate through most of the apps without falling to sleep!
With the pent 2, its a different situation. Everytime I tried to boot up from the cd, everything goes fine until I receive this line... network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP. and it just hangs there, and hangs there. No matter what key strokes I use, the cd will not eject, and in every case I had to restart the computer. I suspect a hardware confliction, though I do not know where the confliction it or how to rectify it. At the same time, the cd should be loading up onto the system's memory, so is it the ram that's the problem?
As a newie who is activiely engaging in migrating to Linux, trying out the live distro cds, to me, is the way to go, without spending hundreds of dollars in trying out an os. I would appreciate any ideas
and suggestions in resolving this.
Thanks
Sandgroper
Similar Threads
-
By ku637 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-06-2006, 08:26 AM
-
By Kaldrenon in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-06-2006, 07:50 PM
-
By smileeb in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 01-15-2005, 05:48 AM
-
By hernan in forum Networking
Replies: 9
Last Post: 01-14-2005, 02:42 AM
-
By net_benjo in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-04-2004, 08:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

Microsoft Surface Pro 5 Silver 128GB SSD 4gb RAM
$97.97

HP EliteBook 830 G8 Core I7-1185G7 3.00GHz Laptop 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD
$250.00

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99

Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT
$129.95