Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: apt-get - - - can't get

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3

    apt-get - - - can't get

    Hi...

    Actually, the problem isn't with apt-get at all...sort of.

    Truth to tell, after I chroot into the uncompressed file system in a root shell, I'm unable to get out to the Internet to run apt-get.

    I know the Internet connection is working. I'm using Linspire (yeh, I know it's kinda weak on security - but that's why I'm only using it for this!) to setup a remaster. I'm able to go out to the Internet on Linspire, but not within Knoppix. I've changed the /etc/resolv.conf file to point towards the proper DNS settings, with no luck.

    Is there another file I need to edit? Perhaps the hosts file? Anyone else have this problem? What are your suggestions?

    Thanks for any help you'd provide!

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    87
    In order to utilise your hardware from the chroot environment, you'll need to mount proc.

    I use (there are derivatives):
    Code:
    mount -t proc /proc /proc
    If you have proxy settings to get out you'll also need to export those for apt-get to work, if my memory serves me correct it is:
    Code:
    export http_proxy="http://username:password@proxyip:proxyport"

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3
    I don't actually need proxy settings. I am bypassing a firewall.

    I've used the mount -t proc /proc proc command. I get no errors running the command, but I'm still unable to ping any Internet sites. I am able to ping IP addresses within the network I'm working in, but I'm unable to ping something like google.com. This is a wide open high-speed connection with a LAN. Obviously, there is something I'm missing , but I don't know what!

    I edited the hosts file, changing it to match the hosts file within Linspire. However, I didn't delete all of the other lines in the file. All network settings are DHCP, which I assume Knoppix would use as default?

    I'll try booting up with the Knoppix cd, and see what settings it gets upon connecting to the network.

    Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3
    can you post your /etc/resolv.conf (chrooted )

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



Intel core i7-11700 CPU picture

Intel core i7-11700 CPU

$120.00



HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P picture

HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P

$319.99



Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$74.99



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor

$259.99



AMD Ryzen 5 9600X Processor (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9GHz AM5 65W Desktop CPU picture

AMD Ryzen 5 9600X Processor (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9GHz AM5 65W Desktop CPU

$169.99



GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4 picture

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4

$229.95



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$14.99