I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 computer with an Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller graphic card, where I installed the Knoppix distribution of Linux. However, I had problems with the screen resolutions, given that I couldn't change the 800x600 resolution.
This is a very general problem for what I have seen in other request in this same forum.
In my case I have finally found the solution, which consists in increase the video memory buffer in the computer BIOS. Here I explain it in detail for Dell Optiplex GX270 and I hope for others computers also:
1º. Get into the BIOS.
2º. Access the "Integrated Devices (Legacy Select Options)" menu.
3º Choose "Onboard Video Buffer".
4º. Choose 8 MB.
5º. Save these changes in the BIOS.
6º. Install the Linux distribution.
That's all. From that moment on, you can set the resolution without problems.
If this worked for someone else, please let know to make sure whether this is an isolated case in my computer or it can really considered a general solution. Please include en your posts what model of computer and graphic card you are using.
I hope this message is a good help for many of the users.
www.pic16f84a.com

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module
$29.25
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$30.00
A-Tech RAM 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300 DIMM/2666MHz
$50.00
MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT
$159.99
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99
Kingston 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-19200 2400MHz Memory Module KCP424SD8/16
$55.00