-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
Sounds like it may be time to learn to use ethereal (included on the CD) to "sniff the connection" and watch what the NIC and router are saying to each other. That would tell you several things, like does the computer see the ARP packets that should be there every few minutes? Is there any response at all when the computer tries to send a packet? You could also watch the DHCP exchange and see where it goes wrong (by comparing it to an exchange on your good Knoppix system).
hmm, I have just tried messing with ethereal a bit.. and am not too sure what I am doing with it but I have run a few captures through capture options on eth0 (and the psuedo-device), such as sticking in the mac address on the first ethernet address option and a few others to see if results came up.. and the results on everything I have run pretty much show no communication with the router, I see outgoing stuff like asking who is 192.168.0.1 with no replys (i get replys on this system just fine), and my dhcp discovers come back with offers on this system as well but nothing comes back on the problem system.. I have also run windows on the problem system just to make sure the ethernet still worked and it worked just fine, connected without any problem.. so the ethernet is fine, the router and modem are fine, the cords are fine.. the systems seem all fine as far as hardware.. just one connects when running knoppix and one does not.. and I guess I'm stuck there and don't know enough about linux OS's to figure out how to solve the problem....
Similar Threads
-
By john007 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-22-2007, 09:49 AM
-
By ipse in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-10-2007, 12:20 AM
-
By bobalot in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-20-2006, 10:24 PM
-
By Bfrost in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-13-2005, 12:01 AM
-
By jvillan in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-21-2004, 03:27 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$49.99